Chapter 4: Sea Voyage

As they were going down the mystical rainbow, Aliwa & Makisig developed a plan that they should find Adlaw's father while Ynaguinid & Adlaw will train in the island so they can be prepared when the Bakunawa comes. They told the 2 goddess of their plan and they concurred as it seemed to be a very prominent idea; so Adlaw & Ynaguinid started their training near the riverside while the 2 mortals began their search for the lost Sun God. Makisig led Aliwa to the beach and he began bird whislting to call the attention of some local birds; but Makisig's whistles were very unusual from normal bird whistling.

Aliwa listened carefully to his whistles and suddenly a brightly-colored figure flew directly above the clouds; the figure came down to the beach and revealed to them its true form. "It's the Ibong Adarna!" exclaimed Aliwa as the bird was going near Makisig; Aliwa finally realized that Makisig's whistles was meant to call the Ibong Adarna (Mythical Bird) like how it was portrayed in legends and myths. Then Aliwa interrogated Makisig of why he called the mythical bird, Makisig uttered that it can help them in the search for Liadlao since the Ibong Adarna is known for its speed as fast as lightning.

Makisig requested the bird to search for Adlaw's father in the far lands and just like in the legends told; the bird flew as fast as lightning across the open sky scouting for the missing Sun God. Then suddenly, the enchanted bird returned to Aliwa & Makisig and signaled them to follow it; they rode on their bangka on the serene sea as they go after the bird. So far on their voyage, they haven't faced any difficulties until they went into the rough waters of the Visayan Sea.

Aliwa saw extreme waves and heavy storm clouds ahead; she strapped herself and Makisig onto the bangka and they both rowed against the tides. The Ibong Adarna came down to them as it feared that it might get hurt in the vicious stormcloud; the bird shined intensely to guide the 2 humans through the sea hoping they might find land. The waves were getting rougher than ever and their bangka couldn't balance through the tides and it tipped over. Aliwa plummeted into the water while Makisig luckily got a hold onto the bangka; he cried for help but no people were around to help.

The Ibong Adarna saw the 2 human's trouble so it flew directly above the clouds without hesitation; the bird shrieked loudly over the heavens to get a deity's attention. Fortunately, Lidagat (Goddess of the Sea) heard the stressful calls and rushed over to see what was happening; she saw the mystifying bird calling out for help and she looked below to see the trouble. The Sea Goddess dived below the clouds and directly fell into open waters, she glimpsed in the water and saw poor Aliwa drowning beneath the waves.

Lidagat used her magic and transformed into a massive turtle in trying to bring Aliwa above the waters; she placed Aliwa on her back and swam fast as she can. Lidagat successfully saved Aliwa but she still needed to save Makisig; she saw the frail man holding onto dear life as the water continuously brings him farther from Lidagat. But the goddess had a few more tricks on her sleeve, she transformed back into her original form and placed Aliwa on a huge rock bulging out of the sea; Lidagat then sang so beautifully that even the fish would stop swimming to listen to her.

Then the sea became very calm and the skies filled with sunlight without a cloud to be seen; she swam over to Makisig and lifted over his bangka to it's original position. Makisig thanked Lidagat for saving his and Aliwa's life, the Sea Goddess was glad to help the mortals and in an instance she vanished into the sea. Makisig rowed the boat towards Aliwa but she was still unconscious; the Ibong Adarna descended from above and healed Aliwa using one of its magical feathers. After brushing Aliwa off with its feathers, Aliwa became consscious again and boarded on the bangka carefully not wanting to tip it over again. Now their trek to find Liadlao continues.