Chapter 3 - Kaiba POV

I crossed my arms as I watched Mokuba retreat up the stairs before I turned and looked back at the golden dog on the floor. He watched me intently as his stomach very loudly growled. The bowl of dog food I had poured was still sitting untouched on the floor next to him. I frowned, he really was a weird dog. I guess nearly drowning in a small pond should have been the first clue, but somehow I had a gut feeling that there was more to it... His eyes were oddly 'human' for lack of any better word to describe them, and they eerily reminded me of Jounouchi every time I looked at them.

I resisted a growl as I turned away from the dog and finished cleaning up in the kitchen. I thought about Jounouchi way too much as it was, I didn't need a stupid dog to remind me of him even more. Once the kitchen was clean I put the packed leftovers into Mokuba's lunch box before placing it in the fridge for lunch at school tomorrow. I walked out of the kitchen and glanced at the clock. I could easily get a few more hours of work done before I had to sleep. I was about to head upstairs when the dogs growling stomach once again brought my attention to him.

I sighed heavily. I couldn't just leave him there for the maids to find in the morning. Who knows how they would react to a random dog in the house. I couldn't really leave him with Mokuba either since I was sure he would stay up all night playing with him. I briefly thought about sticking him back outside but decided against it knowing how angry Mokuba would be the next morning. That left only one option...

The dog's stomach growled again. I glared at him and placed my hands on my hips.

"If you're that hungry eat the dog food!" I said irritably. The dog glared at me again and I raised my eyebrow. I had no idea dogs could be so expressive. "What, did you live in a palace or something before this? You certainly don't look like it."

The dog snorted and continued to look at me with what I could only describe as contempt. I glared right back at him. "Like I said, that's all you're getting. Beggars can't be choosers."

I shook my head slightly as I realized I was having a conversation with a dog. It's not like he could understand me! Maybe I needed some sleep after all.

The dog seemingly glared at me for a moment longer before, to my surprise, got up off the floor and walked over to the food bowl. He sniffed it and curled his lip back before turning to glare at me once again.

I raised my eyebrow at him before he let out what could only have been a sigh before turning back to the food. He very cautiously picked up a single piece and crunched it in his mouth. A look of sheer disgust appeared on his face as he sneezed and stuck his tongue in and out as if trying to get an awful tasted out of his mouth. The reaction was so completely unexpected that a laugh bubbled up from the pit of my stomach and out of my mouth before I even realized I had done it. Both myself and the dog paused in shock. I couldn't really even remember the last time I had actually laughed out loud. After a moment I chuckled and shook my head. The dog continued to stare at me. He was obviously unsure of what to do.

"You really are a weird dog..." I muttered again as I walked back into the kitchen and pulled out the leftovers that I had saved for myself. "I can't believe I am actually going to feed this random dog my lunch..." I walked back to the dining room and placed the bowl of pasta, vegetables and sauce on the ground in front of him. The dog looked up at me with wide surprised eyes. I could practically hear him say "really!?" I looked away as I found myself thinking of Jounouchi again. The fiery glint in the dogs eyes were practically the same as his would have been at the prospect of food.

"Just eat it." I said with a wave.

He did not hesitate to dig in and only moments passed before he had inhaled the entire thing. He licked his lips happily as I picked the bowl up off the ground and put it in the sink. I then grabbed a hand towel and wet it with water before proceeding to wipe the spots of marinara off the white marble. The dog watched me with interest until I finished cleaning the last spot. I looked down at him and noticed that he had gotten some red sauce on his fur underneath his chin. I resisted the urge to smile at his happy face dripping with sauce as I reached down and rubbed his chin with the towel. He sat perfectly still as I cleaned his fur. When I was done I reached over to pat his head and nearly chucked again at the nervous expression in his golden eyes.