Chapter 2

My feet was hitting the ground to beat of the music in my ears. Now about 15 minutes in since I started my run from home I was starting to sweat gradually. But it wasn't uncomfortable . The chilly morning air was hitting my face, and so, it was cooling me down. This was the first thing I do every morning. I ran for about 30 to 45 minutes before anyone woke up. Almost no one was up this early, but there was a few vehicles passing by every now and then, and some people walking down the sidewalk.

I was nearing my home when I felt another presence approaching me. I slowed a bit and turned my head to be greeted with the familiar face of Adam. He was smiling at me. I smiled back and took out the earbuds and put my iPod in my pocket.

"Hey. Good morning," I said and started to speed up. He adjusted his speed to mine and was now running beside me.

"Good morning. I take it you're a morning person too?"

"Yeah. It's the best time to go running," I replied.

Adam looked really good with the sheen of sweat on his face and his outfit showing off his build.

"Do you do this everyday?"

"Yes. Do you?" If he was going to say yes, then that would mean that I would be having company on my runs. I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing. I do think that he would be good company, but at the same time, I like the alone time I get every morning on these runs. I love the peaceful feeling and the company of my own thoughts.

"Not always. Just every now and then."

Oh. That should have pleased me a lot. It does please me, but still, I feel a pang of disappointment hearing that. Oh never mind. "Oh ok. Guess I'll be having company every now and then?"

"If you don't mind, yeah I'd like that."

"Of course it's alright. Don't be silly," I said with a chuckle, as best as I could anyway since I was a little out of breath with the run. We were nearing my house and we started slowing down to a jog and gradually stopped in front. "So I guess I'll see you later then? Meet me here at 8. We'll be leaving at that time." I said with a smile.

"You sure your brother wont mind?" He was nervous, I could tell.

"Of course not. I'll introduce you to him. He's a nice guy," I smiled. "See you soon," he smiled back at me. "See you." I waved at him and walked towards my front door. I turned back to see him walking towards his house.

***

I showered, got dressed, and by the time I came down to the kitchen, Lucas was already having breakfast and mom was at the stove making more food for me. "Good morning," I said, grabbing a plate and sitting down.

"Good morning," they both said in unison.

"Hey Luke, you know the new kid?"

"Yeah. Heard there was one. Montgomery, right?" He asked while eating with hand and checking his phone with the other. "Yeah, that's the one. He actually lives down the street. I kind of invited him to carpool with us. Is that alright?" I had started to stuff my face and mom had sat down beside me with a plate of food of her own.

"Well, that's a nice thing of you to do honey. Of course Luke won't mind. Would you honey?" Mom said directing her question at Lucas. He looked up at mom and smiled. "Yeah, that's no problem Nicky. You don't have to get my permission. Just make sure he's here on time. I'll be leaving at 8."

"Yeah, I already told him that. He'll be here. And thanks," I said.

Once done with breakfast, me and Luke headed out the door to see Adam walking up

our driveway. Luke walked up to him and held out his hand. "Hey! Adam, right? I'm Luke. Nice to meet you". "Yeah, nice to meet you as well. Hope me tagging along is no bother," Adam said smiling shyly at Luke, and giving me a quick glance. "No bother at all. Any friend of my little Nicky is a friend of mine," Luke replied with a grin.

"Alright! Now that the introductions are out of the way, let's get going, or we're gonna

be late," Luke suggested, getting into the car, and we followed suite.

The short trip to school was filled with a peaceful silence among the passengers and the

radio blasting through the speakers. It was not at all awkward as I had expected. Everyone caught up in their own thoughts. Upon arriving at the entrance of the school, Luke dropped us off and drove off towards his parking spot.

"Thank you for the ride Nicole, and it was nice running into you this morning," Adam said

with a small chuckle, making me smile. "No problem, and likewise. And please, call me Nicky. All my friends do. Nicole just seems too formal." "Sure, Nicky," he replied with a sweet smile. "So, I've got to go get my stuff from my locker and meet up with Amy and Jess before class about homework. I'll see you in class?" I asked with my head slightly tilted. Am I flirting with this guy?! I quickly raised my head. "Yea, sure. I'll see you then." I nodded and turned and started making my way towards my locker.

Well that was new, I thought to myself.