Prologue.First Year

The deafening roar of the crowd sent a ripple of satisfaction up my spine. It was official.

I was a killer.

When I felt a hand on my shoulder my eyes were open, scanning the face of the black and white striped usher. "You won. This way, now." His grip was firm on my wrist.

Ow. Please stop. I'm pretty sure my wrist was fractured when that hispanic kid had tried to hurt me.

As the usher began pulling me towards the Gate, I glanced up at the crowd--or what I could see of it--

The giant, blinding, pale yellow lights were spaced evenly around the top of the Pit. I could barely get glimpses of arms being waved back and forth-I put my hand up to shield my eyes-I saw blurry faces. They had to be at least twenty feet up...

"This way." the Usher repeated.

I let out a tiny growl, his eyes got wide and he dropped my wrist. I saw him move his hand to the taser on his hip.

I looked back to my still-cheering fans, and grinned. Then I stared up into the poor hazy eyes of the Usher.

"Lead the way, sir." My weak voice rasped, still grinning. I had won. Actually won.

His face brightened up a bit, probably happy he was escorting the first female Dog-Fight winner in the past decade. He was young too, I may have made his day.

The Usher turned to the Gate once more, holding my wrist-this time more gentle- and tugged a little.

I dropped the arm of the now-dead kid I was holding, and skipped down the dark hallway of the Gate side-by-side with the Usher. I was happy with my accomplishment, and kept grinning all the way to my cell with the blasting sound of the crowd following me down.