Chapter17: The Cool Kids

Life has slowly begun to settle since Zoe was allowed back home. All our lives have taken on a drastic change, but we've finally fallen back into the previous lies we lived. "Send them back," I instruct the nurse for the twentieth time this week. Large bouquets of wildflowers began arriving after Zoe and I returned to the mansion. They've all, fortunately, been from Kevin Wright and not his dad. I may have let it slip that Zoey being stabbed occurred after his son forced her to come into work early, but that's neither here nor there.

His harassment and mistreatment of her before she "left" should have been enough to warrant guilt- or whatever narcissistic feeling has come over him. His gifts; however, aren't desired, and I mean to show him that. Though I can't be certain he knows what he's done, I hope it breaks him. His actions were the inciting incident to her stabbing: he needs to bleeds for it.

"Yes, ma'am." Monet's voice pulls me from my thoughts. The young women is a newly graduated nurse as well as being a big help these past few weeks. She tends to Zoe when I have to assume my position at Conner and our father's company. She gained experience with immobile individuals by volunteering at old folks homes and other facilities throughout schooling. Her hard work and dedication in college was also a reason I urged Dawson to hire her. It's encouraging to see another young, black woman have such a strong drive for helping others despite being in the uncertain clutches of student debt. It's inspiring.

"You ready?" I ask Zoe after helping her change. We decided on black sweats and a band tee instead of her usual punk-rock attire. Her physical therapy starts today, so we want her as comfortable as possible as she tries to regain her mobility.

Monet helps me lift her into the leather chair that's been built into the wall. We've grown accustomed to getting her through the three-story mansion. Dawson had accommodations put in place before she woke, just in case there were any permanent damage done. He almost went as far as installing an elevator instead of the stair chair lift I insisted on. "This is weird, Anie," Zoey sounds dejected.

"What's so weird about it? It's not like you and Jennie didn't push each other around in a wheelchair that summer," I say, finding humor amongst the hardship.

She laughs lightly and so do I. "No, not that. I mean, yeah that, but not really. It's just weird that I can't do the stuff I usually do or wear what I want because of this. If Jennie saw me in this she'd probably wheel me to the trash cause I look like garbage." Her humor hasn't changed, I'll give her that.

"You hardly look different. The only way I could get you into sweats was by buying the pair with skulls hanging from the string." Monet chuckles at my words as she opens the front door.

"And I thank you for it 'cause they're badass. These ankle socks aren't though," she pouts. I eye her laceless, orthopedic shoes and laugh. They aren't the cutest pair in the world, but they'll serve her well. "If I learn how to walk again in heels that would be amazing. That's the type of stuff that gets you trending on Twitter... then becomes less cool when it's covered on the news." Her hand rises to her chin as she imagines a world where that was her reality.

"You're a pain," I grumble humorously, "... and so is he." My smile drops as I notice Conner parked and standing in the long driveway.

"Hey," he waves from near his silver 'stang. My eyes fall to Zoe who looks away guiltily. This is going to be a problem.

It's only a short time after we arrive at Zoe's appointment that I have to leave. "Conner, you need to give her some space. The more you're around the harder it'll be to explain." There is an advantage to having him here this one time, though. Jenniaferia called me a few minutes ago about something regarding Mike. I'm going to meet with her now, but I refuse to leave Zoe and Monet stranded. He's going to bring them to the mansion if I don't make it back in time. "Have you spoken to Dawson? Has he had any questions?"