Chapter 2

Beep...Beep...Beep... Esme awoke in the hospital, something feeling off deep within her. She pushed herself up, her body feeling weak, and she found herself looking into a mirror across the room, a pale girl with piercing green eyes and shaved short brown hair was staring back at her. Beside her were two other children in beds, one with a tube sticking out of his stomach, and the other with two bandaged stumps instead of arms. Esme shivered at the sight of the other children, reaching up to brush the fuzzy hair atop her head. The IV in her arm pulled and she winced, looking down at the medication and nutrients running into her body. She ripped it out, and a shock ripped through her body, a seizure taking control of her. Her eyes rolled back and her body flailed, unable to stop herself as a groan emitted from her pale lips. After what felt like hours, finally, the movement stopped, and consciousness slipped from her grasp.

Warmth all around her, covering every inch of her body. She opened her eyes to see a familiar face, one she loved and cared for deeply. Her mother's lips brushed against her forehead, and she smiled, feeling happy and at peace.

"I'm sorry, Esmeralda. I wish I could have stayed with you longer." Her mother whispered, that smile fading and tears spilling from her eyes as she got up and began to walk away. Esme tried to go after her mother, but her body wouldn't move. Her mouth moved to call after her mother, but it was to no avail, as no sound would come out, as if she was under water. Her mother opened a door at the end of the darkness, and she jumped, her figure falling out of view. Then her world shattered.