。:°ஐHim。:°ஐ

"Please, no!" she screamed, chasing desperately after a cloaked figure who was carrying a bundle of red, "don't take away my son!" 

A sudden gust of wind dried the tears streaming down her face as the intruder hurried onto the balcony. He swung his legs over the railing, keeping a firm hold on the sleeping infant. No mercy, no pity in his heterochromatic eyes as he glanced at the crumpled woman who was wailing in anguish. No time, either.

 The heavy clanking of boots approached from a distance – guards. Determined to get one last glimpse of her precious baby, she cracked her eyes open, vision blurry with tears. 

She opened them just in time to see the darkness of the night swallow them both whole.

~Present Day~

16-year-old Kagami Taiga was bored, inexplicably so. He had already cleaned the vast expanse that was his room, washed, dried and fed his cat, Tatsuya – and it was only 12:00am! 

Sighing, he shuffled over to the large, arched window that covered the wall next to his mural, and swung open its wooden shutters. 

A cool breeze ruffled his scarlet hair. You would expect the view to be fantastic, considering that it was 70 feet in the air, but to Taiga, it had grown dull.

The tower he resided in was surrounded by thick, green foliage, trees creating an endless emerald ocean that the tiger could never see beyond. 

 He could only dream of what he was missing - his books told him stories about heroes, about love and friendship and the young boy wanted nothing more than that. A companion, someone to talk to, someone to laugh with. A cat can only do so much, you know.

 The only other human he had interacted with was a man named Akashi Seijuro, who was a wizard, of sorts. His overwhelming aura made him seem centuries old, even though there was only about 10 years difference between them. Every time he came home from his expeditions, he would fill the room with his presence, silently commanding everyone in it to submit to him.

 In short, absolutely reeked of power and Taiga could not stand him, even though the man practically raised him. 

It didn't matter. Sei was barely home anyway.

Most days, Taiga would spend his time painting, experimenting with cooking, or even working out because what else was there to do?

"Hey, Tatsuya, there's gotta be more to the world than just trees, right?"asked Taiga. The cat stretched itself out, sleek black hair shining in the sunlight. 

"I'll take that as a yes then," he grinned. He couldn't help but wonder what the world just below his feet felt like, but he was forbidden to venture into it.

 According to Sei, it was "a terrible place", filled with "evil people" that would try to hurt him and that he would have failed as an older brother if he let the younger boy go out in it.

 For as long as Taiga could remember, he'd been begging Sei to allow him out onto the grass, what harm could there possibly be? He was 16 for god's sake! He could take care of himself!
It was always the same answer.

 No. 

Thank God for small mercies, though, because the dick had finally created a spacious balcony for the redhead to go into as he pleased.

Taiga stepped outside, carefully brushing a finger down the petal of a sunflower – his favourite. A small smile grew on his face as he recalled his efforts just last year to start this garden project. 

Honestly, he felt pride swell up in his chest as he swept his gaze along the blossoming beauties growing in hanging baskets. Begging Sei for seeds and soil had been so worth it.

The sun was starting to go down; amber melting into yellow, streaked with soft red, soothing Taiga's soul as he bent over the railing. Tatsuya settled by his feet, purring gently. The first lantern, so far it was a mere dot, glowed vibrantly, as it was released into the air, curling higher and higher until Taiga was no longer able to see it.

It had begun.

Slowly, as though they had all the time in the world, dozens more joined the first, setting the sky ablaze. They diffused into the night sky, spreading luminosity and joy wherever they passed; a few found their way over Taiga's tower, his only visitors. The redhead didn't know why, but he felt a strange connection to them, their warmth bringing light into his own life. 

These lanterns came every year, without fail, on August 2nd. His birthday. It almost felt like they were for him, but how could they be?

Still, thought Taiga grumpily, it wouldn't kill Sei to take me to see them. "Just you wait," he muttered, as the last lantern passed over his head, "I'll escape one day."