Chapter Twenty

The next morning, I had to force my eyes open, and they stung when the light hit them. I didn't sleep much, as I was too busy running through all the possible outcomes of leaving Larissa to dwell on her feelings for a while.

I finally pulled myself out of bed, and took a shower. I only had thirty minutes until I needed to open the coffee shop. It was Rob's day off, so I would be working with Tom.

By the time I got the shop, Tom was already serving customers.

"Sorry I'm late, Tom," I said.

"It's alright," he said. "Can you load the dishwasher for me, please? Then I'll make us some breakfast."

I nodded, and went to the kitchen to do what he asked. After a few minutes, Tom joined me, and started to make some food for us.

"Is Rob with Alice today?" He asked.

"Yeah, he stayed there last night," I answered.

"I'm so glad he found a girlfriend. I was starting to wonder if he was gay."

We both laughed, and I made us some drinks. We talked about Rob for a little while, before Tom decided to move the conversation on to me.

"And how's your love life going?"

"It's... complicated," I sighed.

"What's her name?" He asked.

"Larissa."

As soon as I said her name, I regretted it. I forgot that Tom knew Larissa before I did. His eyes widened.

"Larissa Aske?"

"I- I didn't... I mean, I-"

"Is she gay?" He asked, frowning.

"Oh fuck," I breathed. "Tom, I shouldn't have said anything."

"But you did," he replied. "Are you two a thing?"

I couldn't figure out what he was thinking.

"Umm... not really, no. I just kinda like her."

"You know she's got a boyfriend, right?" He asked, and I nodded. "I've known her dad for a very long time. She's such a lovely girl, I can understand why you like her."

I smiled slightly, not knowing what to say.

"So, why is it complicated? Does she know you like her?"

"Yeah, I told her."

"And does she like you?" He asked. I felt like I was being interrogated.

"I don't know, Tom. She's trying to work out what she wants. But her boyfriend's a dick."

"I know he is. Jack told me all about him, he's wanted her to dump him since they got together. Maybe you could help with that," he laughed.

"Tom, please don't say anything to her dad," I begged.

"I won't say anything, Ivy. But don't hurt her, please."

My eyes met his, and I could see he looked concerned.

"Why would I-"

"You're not the type to settle down... just don't lead her on, okay?" He looked uncomfortable. "I know you've got a certain way with girls. If this is just for fun, find somebody else, please."

I was sad that he had said that. Although, I could see why he would think that I would use her, as my track record wasn't great.

"It's not like that with Larissa. She's different," I told him.