Albany

"Mars?" I asked. "His name is Mars?"

"Yeah." Gaia said. "But don't make fun of him for it." She warned.

"Why?" I asked.

"That's something a cheerleader would asked." Gaia smiled. "Look where we are. This is a juvenile detention center. Now when I say don't make fun of a boy who's in juvie I expect you to understand."

"That was a dumb question, wasn't it?" I asked.

"If you must know. Mars beat a teacher unconscious on the first day of school." Gaia muttered.

"Why?" I asked.

Gaia started at me. "Dumb question number two." She said. She looked back at the clerk as she handed in the form. "The teacher called his name during roll call and smiled afterwards."

"Ouch." I muttered as we were ushered into the visitation center. We took our seats and waited for Mars to show up. "How are we going to get him out of here?" I whispered.

"Good question number one." Gaia whispered back. Just then a boy said down at our table. If he wasn't chained to his seat, I think I would've run away. Mars was bald, angry, and littered with tattoos and scars.

"Who are you?" he asked eyeing us suspiciously. His eyes lingered on me.

"Can't some cousins visit each other every once in a while." Gaia said smiling.

Mars tore his eyes from me and grunted. "Hell, lady. All my cousins are locked up in places like this. Really, who are you?"

"We're looking for some employees." Gaia said.

Mars leaned in. "I can't do much work from here." He pointed out.

"Then you won't be here much longer." Gaia said also leaning in. "But I'm going to need some…commitment…from you."

"Get me out of here and I'll work for you no sweat." Mars said smiling. "Will she be working with me?" He asked indicating me.

"Of course." Gaia said. "You'll be on the same team."

"Alright, I'll commit right now, just tell me when I'm getting outta here." Mars cracked his knuckles, I swallowed trying not to flinch from the sound.

Gaia looked over her shoulder. "Can you get out of those chains?"

"They're already unlocked." Mars said showing us. "I just keep them on for the guards."

"Then we can go as soon as we're done here." Gaia said. "Do you have any questions?"

"I don't ask many questions, especially about employment opportunities." Mars said. "But, I would like my first question answered."

"Who are we?" Gaia asked.

"Yes, I would like to get to know you ladies." Mars said looking at me. I had the feeling he didn't really care that much about who Gaia was. Guys wanting to 'get to know me' was nothing new, but with Mars I felt two times as uncomfortable.

"Ok, well I'm Gaia and this is Albany." Gaia said making the introductions.

"Gaia and Albany?" he muttered. "Those aren't average names."

"Neither is Mars." I pointed out.

"She speaks." Mars said staring at me. He rolled his neck across his shoulders before continuing. "So, Albany, I get the feeling you don't like me. That won't be good for the team spirit."

"I don't need to like you for what we're doing." I said.

Mars laughed. "The way my relationships work, is I treat you like you treat me. You laugh at my name. I beat you with your nametag. You don't like me, I don't like you. My question is, are you fine with me not liking you? I'm a much better friend than enemy you know."