Part 18: The Risks

AN: The song Forest Fire by Brighton is provided. There's action to be coming soon, don't worry, but this chapter is for more story building. EnJoy!

I find Wanda standing alone, leaning against the railing of the balcony that faces the lake

I find Wanda standing alone, leaning against the railing of the balcony that faces the lake. Her long fiery orange hair flies behind her in the wind, along with the flaps of her long bright scarlet jacket. I can feel the atmosphere around her—how her loud, complex thoughts radiate off of her, forming so quick to be asked and answered. But unlike her mind, her body langue says something entirely different. Wanda's face is stiff for one thing, not reflecting her many emotions like I've have done plenty of times for my lack of obscurity. Her hands grip the railing as she blankly stares out at this view, almost like she's in content.

She looks beautiful standing there. Less of a fighter. But that's who she always is. Strong. Resilient.
The one other person I've walked through hell with and suffered the consequences when we came out. But in this very moment she's most vulnerable, soft, relaxed.

I slowly make my way right beside her so we're both standing hip-to-hip, staring at the clear water. I place my gloved hand on the back of her right one. "He'll be alright," I tell her, easing into the subject so I'm not directly calling her out.

We both know Vision's the reason she needed to come out here for a breather. The reason she's not standing at Vision's side the whole time in case something happens. Should she be expected to stay with him?

Wanda glances my way and gives me a tight-lipped smile in return. "You can't promise me that," she says, in matter-of-fact. The edge of her voice is sharp, but delicate. I can feel the glass cut me a little. She shakes her head before her eyes focus back on the water. Another gust of wind ruffles the locks of her hair wildly behind her shoulders, a few caught in her face. "Neither can he."

I pull back the strands of hair off her cheeks. "You heard what the teenage girl version of Tony Stark said back there," I say, "She's already starting to extract the stone. She can take it out of Vision's head without damaging either one of them."

"But will she do it in time?"

I turn my body towards her, leaning my hip against the railing so I'm looking at her. "Wanda, we can talk about it—"

"I'm fine," she cuts me off, releasing her hand underneath mine. "I've just been through enough death as it is, okay?"

This subject doesn't take me back as much. Because I really let myself think about it, she has been through enough lost for one person. First, she loses her parents. Then loses the person she used to be after the protests and riots and when she gained powers. Then she lost me. Her best friend. Her sister. We've never really talked about what she went through after I died.

But oh. How I remember the gut-wrenching details of her reaction as she collapsed in the core reactor, how I can still hear her wailing out for me. I'll never forget the sight of all the power she unleashed. . .And we just never talked about it. We just went right past it. Ignored it. And she even took me back with open arms after the short period of time I had walked out on her and the team.