{Two}

"Why can't you just get a normal job and stop pretending? You've written one book. One children's book that barely pays the bills and puts food on this table. What do you even do every day?" my mum yells.

After a long and awkward dinner downstairs, I had retired to my room to get away from my parents 'conversing'

"I told you, Lydia, I work. I go to that office everyday and I think and I get inspired and I write and then when a good idea comes to me, I'll just know it." he argues.

"You know, you could be thinking and getting inspired when you get home from an actual job as well. You have five kids at home that see daddy as the fun parent that's always plays on the floor and acts like a sixth child to them and I'm the one who takes care of them and is actually a responsible parent, and I'm the mean one. Do you know how hard that is?" she sighs a shaky breath.

"Emma is old enough to help you now. They're just a bit excited for the winter break. You have Piper during the day while the older kids are at school. This isn't anything you can't handle."

Of course.

I knew my father was immature and irresponsible, but I didn't want to believe it. Here he was pushing his responsibilities onto his sixteen year old daughter.

"Emma is no better than you are. She thinks it's okay to just run away from her life and her problems here, just like you think it's okay, and it's time for both of you grow up and realize that real life isn't a fairy tale."

••

I had waited until I was for sure that the whole family was asleep. I needed the fresh air to fill my lungs and clear my head. Plus, my tossing and turning was keeping Opal awake.

I got dressed quickly and slipped on my shoes, leaving the house quietly.

The streets were dark and lifeless and my heart sped in fear of being caught. I knew it wasn't safe to be out this late, but this wasn't the first time I had left the house alone.

Past the park and through the trees, there was a small beach lined with bright colored beach houses and the only light that shone was from the moon and the faint glow of street lights from behind the trees.

I picked up pebbles on the way to the beach and kept my eyes on my feet hitting the pavement.

Arriving at the beach, I started throwing the rocks into the water, tossing them farther and farther with each building frustration.

I feared so many things in this world. I fear rejection and my parents wrong choices affecting me.

I was living in a world of misunderstanding and no one bothered to reach their hand down and rescue me or even listen to what I had to say.

"Emma." a voice came from the dark behind me. I turned around quickly coming face-to-face with tall dark figure. I gasped as I felt a hand cover my mouth. "It's me, Luke. Don't scream."

I pushed his hand away and stepped back. "Get your hand off of me. I wouldn't have screamed. What are you doing?" my heart beat fast.

"I could ask you the same thing Besides, it's none of your business." he responded.

"Well then my reasoning for being here is none of your business either." I continued to toss rocks into the waves with a grunt. He bent down and picked up pebbles and threw them farther than I had.

"I'll tell you why I'm here if you tell me." Luke said, a bit of cheekiness in his offer.

"Alright. I have four younger siblings and a father who makes it seem like I have five. My mother doesn't ever listen to what I have to say and then just expects me to grow up and suddenly become an adult. I have no privacy and I'm drowning in oblivion. So while everyone is asleep, I come here to think when my mind isn't filled with screaming kids and fighting parents." I stop and take a deep breath, closing my eyes.

"So you have to 'grow up too fast'. Does your mother abuse you? Are your siblings demon children?" he questions.

Luke sits on the beach resting his arms on his knees and staring up at the stars.

"..No."

"That's what I thought. You think going to school with a bruise on my face is pleasant? We often think that our own problems are something to escape from until we see what others have to deal with."

"Why would you have bruises?" I asked turning around to face him.

He looked up at me and shrugged. "You asked what I was doing here."

Oh.

"Is that why you were reading in the park?"

"It's nothing I can't handle. It's okay. It's-" he sighs and licks his lips. "I'm sorry for being insensitive."

A small smile appeared on my face. "It's okay. I understand."

We sat there in silence for a moment.

"Emma?"

"Yes, Luke."

"Do you want to be my friend?"

I laughed. "Are you like ten?"

"I'm serious. Do you want to be friends or not? I don't just offer my friendship to anyone; it's a limited time offer." he smirks.

"Yes, I'll be your friend."

"Nope. Too late. Had your chance." he stands up and dusts his pants off.

"Then will you be my friend?" I asked him. The sky became lighter and it was easier to see his face.

"If you meet me here again tomorrow night, I'll think about it." he starts to walk away and I follow him.

"I'll come tomorrow." I reply.

"Do you-" he pauses. "Do you want to come over for dinner tomorrow? My mom planned this dinner to meet my girlfriend and she isn't able to come."

"Oh you have a girlfriend? And I don't know. My parents-" my voice trailed off. I

"Yeah, it's kind of long distance though. Her grandmother just passed away. You don't have to come tomorrow though. I understand if you can't get away." he walks off, rubbing the back of his neck.

"No, I'll try. I promise." I call to him. He turns around and smiles, "Tomorrow at 6. 425 Fire Brook Road."

"Okay. Bye, Luke."

"Bye, Emma."

A/N

Crappy chapter yay

So this was just kind of a start to their friendship and I don't know how this is going to go but we'll see!

I actually started a way better chapter but my phone crashed and it was lost. So sorry about that

Tell me what you want to see in the next chapter!!

Love love love