Bundle of Joy

"Lukas, where exactly are we going?" Petra laughed as I pulled her along. I gripped the picnic basket a little tighter we climbed.

"You'll see in a minute-" I replied- "It's just at the top!"

As we neared the top of the hill, Petra gasped in delight.

"Lukas, this view, it's..." Petra beamed. "How did you find this place?"

"I ride a lot in the morning, when you're still asleep." I spread out the picnic blanket and pulled Petra to my lap, enjoying the gorgeous valley spread out before us.

"Ok, the view is great and all," Petra said as she wiggled out of my lap and started pulling jars out of the picnic basket, "but I'm hungry."

I smiled to myself as Petra pulled out jar after jar, searching for food.

"Lukas..." Petra turned to me. "Why is our picnic basket packed with jars of baby food?"

I turned around and rummaged through the secret pocket in the basket.

"Lukas...?'

"Ah!" I closed my hand around the little box, and turned to Petra on one knee.

"Petra, you've made me the happiest man alive for 2 years. You are the love of my life, the jewel of my armor, the ink to my quill. Will you do me the honor of-"

"Lukas, we're already married."

"I'm not done." I opened the small box, revealing a pacifier. "Petra, will you have a baby with me?"

Petra's face reddened, and she giggled nervously. "Lukas, we already have Lluna. Do we really need a kid?"

"Yes."

"Look, why don't we just sleep on it? Enjoy our picnic, maybe?" Petra turned back to the basket, but I grabbed her hand and pulled her towards me.

"Petra, what would be so bad about us having a child?"

"I didn't say it'd be bad-"

"Then why not? If not now, when?"

"I don't really know-"

"Can't you just imagine it?" I pleaded. "Just think about it for a moment. Please?"

Petra frowned, and then closed her eyes.

"Just think of it," I began to paint the scene. "A few toys scattered on the blanket, our child bouncing on your knee. I open a can of baby food and spoon it into her mouth. You hold her over your shoulder and pat her gently. You cradle her in your arms and-"

And to my suprise, Petra's eyes began to brim with tears.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked. I rubbed her shoulders as she took shuddering breaths.

"It's just-" Petra looked down. "I want this, Lukas. I really do. But I'm scared out of my mind. Lukas-" She squeezed my hand tightly- "We'd be bringing a whole new person into the world. A person we have to protect. What if I break it? What if I drop it? What if we get the wrong stuff? What if we do something wrong and we set it down the wrong path for the rest of its life and will-"

"Petra, look at me." She slowly raised her eyes to meet mine. "I get that you're scared. I am too. Hell, I even questioned myself for a month before I asked you. But we can do this, together. You hear?" I gently pushed hair out of her face. "We're a team."

Petra smiled. "Go team."

"Now," I grinned. "Can we please have a baby?"

"Yes, Lukas. Together."

dedicated to ArrowSunn :)