Prologue

Everyone was quiet, and all eyes were on the clock as the seconds tick by. Finally, it hits 3:30 and everyone is up. People run out of the classroom, screaming and cheering, high-fiving and kissing. School is out for summer. Finally. I walked out of my social studies classroom, straight into familiar arms in a faded red hoodie. I breathed in the minty cologne smell of Jordan. I looked up slowly. Yep, still adorable. Jordan was tall, muscular, athletic, and lean, with black hair and blue eyes. How he was in love with me, I'm not sure. He ran his fingers through my long auburn hair and I saw him glance around. The hallway was packed with kids, more than ever. Two girls were making out behind Jordan and I felt a hand on my butt, seeing a pimply guy behind me. I back kicked him in the crotch for that. I rubbed on my temples, a striking pain in my head. "Let's get out of this hell hole." I muttered. I stumbled along, everything passing in a blur. I felt dizzy and my head was killing me. I groaned and fell, landing on my knees. I coughed, blood splattering the ground in front of me. "Abigail?" I heard my name several times but it was distant and followed my several other things I didn't understand. Blackness began creeping into the edges of my vision, and I closed my eyes, tired.