Prologue

My name is Haelynn Josephine Neal, but most people call me Josephine or Jo. And if they do call me by my first name you don't want to meet them. I am a junior in high school and I can't wait to get out of here. Not because I dislike school, I actually love school it's my sanctuary from my hell of house. To most people my house would be there dream come true. I'll admit it is a pretty big house and it's a great place to have a family, but there is just too many memories, and he is there.

But any ways, very few people really know me. Yes, on the outside I may look like the stereotypical popular girl but that is all an act. There is only two people who really know me. Those people are my mother, Christina, and my older sister, Madelyn. They both aren't around. Madelyn moved out of the house the second she turned 18 and, legally, she couldn't take me with her. And my mother, well, she died in a car crash eight years ago.

You may or may not have noticed yet but I haven't mention my father or any father figure and that's because it's complicated. My father has never been in the picture because he died when I was around three years old. Sometimes I dream of how it would be if he didn't get sick. But as you can see that isn't what happened and that's how I'm here now in this sick and twisted reality of life.

If you've put things together you've realized that I am not living with any of those people, obviously. I, unfortunately, live with my stepdad, Samuel Sinclair. He is a huge business owner, which explains the mansion I live in. The few years he dated and was married to my mother were amazing and fairy tale like, but after the accident he changed. The heartbreak turned him into a bitter, aggressive and arrogant man and let's not forget an abusive stepfather.