Chapter 6: Unicorns

“Macy, you need to calm down…”

“Yeah, calm,” I said. “Some pissed off super god is trying to end the world, and he thinks I will help him. Oh, and also, he said I won’t be dead for long. What does that mean?”

“I don’t know,” Eros said. “But we’re crossing into the last dimension soon.”

“Wait, is that where the oracle is?” I asked.

“Yes, dear,” Eros said. “But there will be a test. All who enter the temple of the oracle must face a test. You must prove you’re worthy to enter the temple. It’s different for every person.”

“Oh, what happened to you last time?”

“I had to walk over fire,” Eros said. “And that is why we have to prepare for any scenario.”

“Didn’t you go to the oracle to talk about me last time?”

“Yes Macy,” he said.

“So you literally walked through fire for me,” I said.

Eros pointed at Gabe and smirked.

“You seem to have that effect on your lovers,” Eros said.

“But we’re not lovers, not technically,” I said. Oh dear god, my love spell was coming back. “We go below deck and change that.”

Macy Castille, making it awkward since the day she born.

“No, love,” Eros said. “We need to prepare. I have special kind of paint from Hera. It makes your fireproof and impermeable to most weapons. We’re going to put it on. Gabe and Hera are already wearing it.”

“So, do I put it everywhere?” I asked. “And how do I put it on?”

“We’ll help each other,” Eros said, taking my hand. “Do you trust me?”

“Always,” I said with stars in my eyes.

“Ok,” Eros said. “I need you to take your shirt off so I can paint your back. You’ll paint my back and the rest we should be able to manage ourselves.”

“Oh ok,” I said.

I was nervous. I’d never worn a bathing suit in front of boy, what with the cancer interrupting all of my beach parties. Other than a very awkward incident with Hades, I didn’t get naked with people. I definitely didn’t take my clothes off to play supernatural body paint with Eros in all his perfection.

“Would you feel better painting me first,” Eros asked.

“Of course,” I said. “Let’s do that. Take your shirt off.”

            I didn’t even know where the love spell ended anymore. Because deep down, I wasn’t opposed to a shirtless Eros. Once upon a time I found it embarrassing and awkward to be around him with his clothes off. Now that I loved him, his perfect body wasn’t so scary or off putting. He snapped his fingers and my eyes ad to adjust form the quick change as perfectly sculpted flesh appeared before me. I felt my cheeks turned red and hot and I shook my head, resisting the urge to let love spell Macy say something stupid.

“Where…where is the paint?”

He handed it to me and smiled in way that seemed so very loving and kind. Eros had kind eyes, and I don’t know why I hadn’t always seen it. Probably because he had a quick tongue and a reflux to be a jerk. It was all a smokescreen to keep to keep others out, but he’d let me in.

“So I just rub it on your back,” I asked.

He turned so faced away from me.

“Yep, it’s like magic sun block,” he laughed.