Chapter one

Seven years later...

-Z A C K-

"I'll need a copy of your bachelor's degree and driver's license. I'll also need a statement that shows you have no criminal records." Officer Rogers, the head cop of the police department said.

"Here you are, I don't have any official statement but I can assure you I have no criminal records." I replied, handling the old man my copies. He took the papers out of my palm and briefly examined them.

"Is that so?" He quirked a brow, spitting out the toothpick that was recently in his mouth.

"Yes, sir." I nodded. Officer Rogers stared at me for only mere seconds before smiling, his wrinkles folding thickly at his cheeks.

"Welcome to the team boy. Officer Claire will tell you all the duties needed to be done."

"I won't disappoint you sir." I returned the gesture. Officer Claire came into the office a few minutes later after being summoned. She was about 5'7 feet tall whilst I was about 6' tall. She had these mysteriously dark grey eyes and short brown hair. She seemed to be in her mid twenties or so, maybe older than I was.

"This will be your work station Officer Zack, here is your outfit. Our duties will be somewhat minor because we are still under the youth team." She said, giving me a tight-lip smile and handed me my attire. It almost looked like she was forced to come.

"Thanks, could you explain some of our duties?" I questioned, leaning back against the wall.

"Ofcourse, the duties of a police officer will be numerous and diverse. Based on appointment, length of service and training, we may work with a K- 9 unit responding to suspicions of drugs or dangerous weapons in vehicles and other property. But if there isn't that much of a crime scene, we'll resort to patrolling certain areas. And as we move up the ranks, we may investigate crimes ranging from petty theft to murder. Is that all officer Zack?" She asked, her right eye twitching and her body stiff. Isn't she hilarious?

"Please call me Zack." I smirked. "Also there is one thing." I lied tapping my chin in a manner of thinking. I watched her reaction, I wanted to see her burst out in rage, to raise her voice in infuriation. Why? Because I need to see if she can take it, also for a good laugh.

"Fire away Zack, what is it you need help with?" She said, this time smiling genuinely. I like her already.

Before I could reply to her question, the department alarm went off. "Officer Rogers." I heard Officer Felix's constant shouting. Claire and I shared a cautious glance before rushing out the room.

"There's been recent reports from residents of 17th street stating the events of extortion and drug trafficking between gangs." Officer Felix said.

"What's the delay then? I want the E7 and G9 team on force. We leave now!" Officer Rogers growled, everyone rushed to their stations.

"You're with team G9 Zack grab your walkie-talkie and get dressed. I'll hand you your Glock 19 Austrian handgun, we leave in five." Officer Felix said.

"Yes sir." I obliged without question, being more than ready for my first chase.

-E M E R A L D-

"It's all in, give us the money and our mates won't shoot." I retort, holding the black duffle bag close to my body.

"Open the bag, I need to see for myself." He smirked, and I resisted the urge to punch him.