Running Through The Monsoon- Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Drowning and Waking Up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If someone were to ask me what I saw, it would be this: nothing. I could see absolutely nothing. I could hear, however. I think I could hear even better than usual. The things I heard weren’t things you would hear on a daily basis; they were things you would hear in a hurricane. Do you know what the strange thing was? It had been a perfectly sunny day in the semi-small, quaint, and quiet town of Shannon…

I was just coming to visit David, or as I am supposed to call him to his face: Dad. It wasn’t really something I had been looking forward to, but I didn’t really want to stay in my hometown of Los Angeles. Also, my mom made me. The fact that I had to live with David AND spend the summer with my little brother , Sam, made me depressed. So, ignoring David’s protests, I went surfing. It was a perfect day when I left, but it changed suddenly…

It was just my luck that after I paddled out a hurricane hit. The waves pulled and pushed me under. Help. When I came back up, I couldn’t see; the wind was so strong, it made my eyes water. Worry. I closed my eyes feeling relief and confusion. Wonder. It was then that I decided to use my hearing. Awe. I heard the thunder loud and clear; it rang with such authority, telling everyone and everything to obey. Fear. Then, I heard the wind singing a song so sad and lonely, and as old as time. Pain. Soon after, I heard the rain pattern; it used to be calming, but now it scared me because I was drowning. Air. Then, I heard someone’s voice before I passed out. Save me…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I saw his face. When I woke up, I mean. It was… unexplainable. I loved it that much. For some reason, I loved him, too. I didn’t even believe in that word. Love. More like a fancy word for pain. He was carrying me bridal style. I looked at him, touched his face, then fell asleep…

I woke up not knowing where I was. Honestly, I thought it was all a dream, but the scenery said it all: IT wasn’t a dream, I was in the hospital, and I really did meet HIM. After my wondering, I was aware of someone next to me.

“Excuse me,” the old man said. “Would you mind describing the sunset to me? I have never seen one, or anything, for that matter.”

“Of course. It’s really light; open. It’s warm, yet cool at the same time. It’s round, but you can only see half of it. It can remind you of any memory in the world. It’s like you can feel it, without really having to touch it. It’s the center of all dreams and magic. It’s one of the best things in the world. It’s soft. It’s happiness,” I told him.

“Thank you. I’m sad I can never see it, but thanks for describing it to me,” he said, all ready falling asleep. Then, HE walked in…