juniper's day off ♡

There was a certain magic in his step as he ran up the grassy walkway. The wind carried an ethereal feeling, as if the breeze itself could change the very way the world turned. His heart raced as the glass doors he'd always dreamed of came into sight. The reflective surface showed a visage of a boy about to begin his journey. As he ran up to the doors, they slid open and let him into the laboratory where he would receive his very first pokémon.

A small gray pokémon greeted him as he entered the lab. "Minccino?" it inquired, showing curiosity about the newcomer. It turned around and began to walk away, peering over its shoulder at the boy. It seemed to be offering to take him further into the building. He obliged to its offer, walking slowly behind and following its lead.

They soon made it to the back of the laboratory. Surrounded by bookcases, machinery, and stray equipment was a woman sitting by herself at a desk. She drank from a mint green mug that matched the hue of her pencil skirt. Her light brown hair was coiffed in a voluminous and elaborate style on top of her head. She brushed her bangs out of her eyes so she could catch a better glimpse at her visitor.

"Oh, Ryan! You're finally here," she said with a smile.

Ryan grinned from ear-to-ear. "Yep! And I'm here for my very first pokémon, Professor Juniper!" he exclaimed.

His enthusiasm was contagious. Juniper couldn't help but to beam right back at him. She sat her coffee mug down on her desk and stood up. "Your new pokémon is right over here," she said.

"Did you save me the one I asked for?"

"Yes, I sure did," she replied. Juniper led Ryan over to a shelf, where one lone poké ball rested in the center. "Go on and let it out, it's been anxious to meet you!"

Ryan snatched the poké ball off the shelf and held it out in his hands. He stared at it for a moment, admiring the glossy red top of the capsule. With a press of the button, the lid flipped up and unleashed a mass of red energy. The light gathered and formed into the figure of a small pokémon on the lab floor.

"Snivy!" it cried out. The grass-type looked up, down, and all around at its surroundings. It finally laid its huge brown eyes on Ryan, its new trainer.

"Snivy, I promise that I will take care of you forever. We're going to have the best of adventures!" Ryan stated. He scooped the small pokémon up into his arms. "Professor Juniper, thank you so, so much!"

"It's my pleasure," she started. "But before I forget, let's get your pokédex set up."

The pokédex functioned as an essential research tool for the professor. As her expertise is in the origins of pokémon, it is most valuable for her to know when and where trainers encounter a particular species. She taught Ryan how to record such data amongst other things, and then she gave him a few poké balls so he could get started filling on out the pokédex.

"And feel free to reach out if you need any help! My xtransceiver is always on!" she shouted out from her sliding glass doors. Ryan was already near the end of her walkway, running fast and unable to contain his excitement. She smirked and shook her head. New trainers will be new trainers, won't they?

She watched as he left her property for what could be the last time. The Snivy was perched on Ryan's shoulders looking back onto the lab.She could've swore it, too, was waving goodbye.

'Goodbye, Snivy! ...Wait, that reminds me...' Juniper began to ponder. That was the last of her starters, and she would need more to handout. Thankfully she wasn't expecting any other beginning trainers to come by today, but usually her breeder was good about staying on top of deliveries. She headed back into her lab, hoping that her coffee was still warm and that there was an email explaining the radio silence.