Ch. 18

johanhands said

Guys please reply to this with what your url means or references I'm really curious

lifeisforliving

Welp, I think mine is pretty self-explanatory, but the reason it stuck is because I think even with the not so great things that have gone down in my life, it's still pretty good. I wanna be reminded to be an active participant, and not watch it go by while I stand still...

I snacked on a doughnut from the box that Catherine had brought over earlier, and walked up to my room. Staying at home made the days run together, but Anderson's visit from the day before was still fresh in my mind. With only me in the house, the quiet evening was unnerving. Grandma was at a Dinner & A Show event downtown with some other ladies she mentored with. I kept listening for the front door, surprised Mom hadn't come home yet. It was pushing nine o'clock, and this week and last week she'd called when she was on the road on her way home. The kitchen phone rang and I left my room , picking it up just in time. "Hello?" I answered, expecting Mom and hearing Jazzy instead.

"Heeeyy," she giggled, and I walked over to the window and pulled aside the curtain, just in case. The glass felt cold against my skin. "I meant to come over today, but I had to help at my aunt's shop. Anyway, excuses," she cleared her throat, then giggled again. "I know why you're calling. And why are you calling the house phone?" I said absently, finally stepping back from the window to lean against the wall. I didn't bother flicking on the lights. I hoped my mother was okay. "I called and texted you, and when you didn't answer, I thought your phone was dead. Anyway, don't leave me hanging! Catherine said you didn't bring it up, but I want all the details. Tell me exactly what happened?"

As an afterthought, I turned the porch light on but it did little to illuminate the darkness or calm the anxiety in my tightening chest. "He got lost, but he came in one piece. And my mom sorta interrupted." I thought back to Anderson's visit, thinking about what could have happened if she'd stayed in her room, and Anderson had never left so soon. I would be stuck on that for days.

"Dude!" she squealed, "Did she walk in on you guys kissing?"

"No," I answered glumly. "Oh. So what did y'all do?" Jazzy's question became an afterthought when I spotted a car drive by the house, but it looked like Ms. Zowie's from a few houses down. I tapped on my thigh impatiently. "Talked," I responded, annoyed." There was a brief silence on the line, and I knew she was waiting for me to elaborate. I didn't.

"Talked about what?"

"My injuries. Photos. Safe subjects." I saw the headlights before the vehicle's sleek profile outside. Mom was finally home. "Good lord, Georgia, do we have to ask him out for you?" I watched Mom step out of her car and make her way down the stepping stones that lead up to our front door. "Hey Jazzy? Can I call you back?" Mom was home but I wanted her to know just how freaked out I'd been.

"Umm, sure, is something wrong?"

"Might be." I quickly ended the call with Jazzy as the doorknob jiggled and the keys unlocked the top lock followed by the bottom. "You've been standing by the door waiting for me?" Mom laughed once she saw me. She pulled off her coat.

"Last time you did that you were—"

"You didn't call to say you were on your way home." She wrapped me up in her arms and pecked my forehead, careful not to squeeze too hard. "Sweetheart, don't tell me you were worried. I just...got caught up at work today. Lost track of time."

I pondered her words taking in her stance, watching her evening ritual of pulling her shoes off, releasing her hair from its bun and running her fingers through. "How was the day?" she asked, and I shrugged as I headed back to the couch. "Catherine brought me a baker's dozen" I motioned to the doughnut box. Alley appeared out of the blue and scampered up to my mom, like I wasn't the closest human to him. "Hey, how are you?" she coddled him and Alley purred his way to happiness. I looked at both of them like they were nuts.