Tournaments

As for every student starting from 6-12 grade, they may partake in battle tournament depending on grade and school. Therefore the college level battles are on a whole different level. To be in the tournament, each person must have a pair or sign up for a random one. There is only 1st and 2nd place teams that well combine into a team of 4 to then go to fight other grade levels. The prize for #1 is a permit to use there powers in public since it is against the law to use them in public without a license.
Battle feilds:
For grades 6-8 however, their battles are just normal fighting within a certain concrete stage( like the tournament arc in naruto and my hero academia)
For grades 9-12, their battles are randomly generated between an "arcade style", elemental style, and landscape style.(the element and landscape style is a reference to the tournament arc from RWBY while the arcade style is a reference to Super Smash Bros)
For college students, the rules are simple, survive. Everyone is on their own but scattered on this supervised island even though there is no rules so pairing up is allowed. On the island the challenge is to go up against nature, others, and yourself. Survive 7 days in total, win to a certain extent of the 4 vs 4 battles on the first day. Then 5 days survive in the wilderness until the 7th day of 1 vs 1 fights. Therefore the 1st, 2nd, 3th place win official superpower licenses regardless of age or grades in college.