[16]

Taylor's POV

"No thanks, I'm not hungry," I said, for the third time that night, when Ally came up to me with popcorn.

I knew I was damping their night. I wouldn't play, I wouldn't sing, I wouldn't eat; but what did they expect me to do, with Demi in the hospital?

Take a day off and forget about her? Bullshit.

Camila, Normani, and I were sitting on the couch of Ally's new living room, while the rest of the girls lay sprawled out on the floor. And guess what we were watching? The Fault in our Stars. Again. It's starting to annoy me.

"Hey," I heard Camila whisper.

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay?".

"Yeah."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Doesn't sound convinving."

"Yeah."

She gave up at that point.

I must have begun drifting off to sleep, then, because when I opened my eyes again, sunlight streamed in the window, and everyone besides Camila and I were up.

Marissa was seated at the table with the other girls, and she smiled at me when she saw I was awake. "Morning, babygirl."

Lauren held up a brightly colored box of cereal. "We have cereal, if you want breakfast," she said brightly, before Ally took up another box. "Or you can have this cereal." Dinah held up one more. "Or this."

Their energy wasn't enough to perk me up, as I broke free from Canila's cage of arms -thus waking her in the process-, and sat up. "Can you take me to see Demi?"

There was silence, but I could sense the collective sigh I knew would be going around.

"Taylor, honey, it's barely past eight; visiting hours haven't started yet," Lauren answered.

I contemplated her words quietly. I needed to be with Demi. It didn't matter if she couldn't talk; if she couldn't move. Her presence in itself calmed me, and I could already feel the stress and the dread creeping in.

I took in a deep breath to calm myself, then stood up. "I'm gonna go to the.. Uh.. Bathroom."

With that, I took off down the hallway and locked myself in the bathroom. The absense of my phone, resulting in the loss of communication, was driving me crazy. How stupid was I to have left it there?

I supported myself with the sink, using one hand to splash my face with water and to comb out my tangled hair.

I closed my eyes, focusing on steadying my breathing.

Demi's fine, I convinced myself. Just a little scratched up. She'll be okay. Don't worry.

She's be okay, I repeated to myself, before taking in another deep breath and walking out to face the girls.

.

Demi's POV

I stared at the white ceiling, every few seconds glancing towards the clock on the wall. The TV was blaring the news in front of me, but I wasn't listening.

God, how long time seemed to drag on in the hospital. It's not like it's my first visit, but still..

I wanted to be in the studio, or performing, or making use of my goddamn time, not being stuck in this cage of white walls and sterilized handrails.