O

And they say that a hero can save us

-"Hero" by Nickelback

*_*_*

As of today, I've been assigned to Juliet and Jimmy for the buddy system program for 2 whole weeks. That's 14 days of walking the children home from school every day.

After Juliet and I attended to Jimmy's show and tell at his school, I went home and cried. The idea of somebody calling me a hero was too much for my emotions to handle. What didn't help either was that he drew three versions of the picture he showed us that day. Juliet and I both went home with the same picture; Jimmy in the middle with Juliet and I standing next to him with capes on and large letters spelling MY HEROES at the top. Jimmy even signed his name at the bottom of the picture so we will remember him when he becomes famous. Those were his words, not mine.

Mom and dad were worried when I ran into their arms with tears streaming down my face. They kept asking me what was wrong, and all I did was wail since I couldn't contain myself to formulate a proper response.

"Astrid, what's wrong?" Dad asked, his voice laced with concern.

Mom rubs her hands up and down my arms, trying to stop my body's shaking from the crying I've been doing.

I take a couple of deep breaths to calm myself.

"Talk to us." Mom said softly.

I nod and show them the drawing Jimmy made for me.

Dad's eyes soften as he grabs the drawing out of my hands. "That's a cute picture, but that doesn't tell us what's making you cry."

"Look what's written on the top." I sniffled.

Mom and dad bring the drawing closer to their faces to read the top.

Mom's eyebrows furrow in confusion. "It just says 'my heroes', Astrid."

Hearing her repeat the words on Jimmy's drawing stimulates the tear ducts in my eyes, and some more tears roll down my cheeks. "That's the thing, mom. Jimmy called me his superhero. Nobody has ever told me that before."

Her eyes soften. "Oh, Astrid."

Dad wraps his arms around my shoulders. He places his chin on top of my head while rubbing circles on my shoulders.

"Why are you surprised that he called you his superhero?" He murmured as he moves one of his hands from my shoulders to my head, massaging patterns onto it with his fingers.

"You are living proof of what a hero is, Astrid. You're always there for him when he gets out of school so he won't get home by himself. You brought him homemade cookies. You put his happiness over your own by bringing up Spongebob Squarepants and singing the theme song with him. You comforted him that day when he was sad about his parents. You showed up to his show and tell that day when he needed you there. Of course you're a hero to him. Everything you've done for him is the textbook definition of a hero." Mom said confidently.

I use one of my hands to wipe the tears off of my face. "It's just that I don't see myself that way. I would never call myself a hero. I'm just being me, you know? I don't go around saving people's lives or own a superhero cape to showcase myself as a hero. I'm just your average person in the crowd. I'm a nobody."

"Don't talk about yourself like that." Dad demanded, pulling himself off of me to stare into my eyes. "You're not just a nobody. You're our beautiful, intelligent, sweet, caring daughter who wears her bright heart on her sleeve for the world to see. Just because you don't see yourself as worthy, doesn't mean that there aren't people out there in the world who view you as that too."