About the Contest

Freeze-Dried Fiction Contest

Inspired by The Freeze-Dried Groom, one of nine tales in Margaret Atwood's new book Stone Mattress

Margaret Atwood’s story “The Freeze-Dried Groom,” from her new collection Stone Mattress, leaves the reader with many tantalizing questions. How does it end? Will Sam be a killer or a victim? What are the other characters’ versions of events?

Answer some of these questions, or ask some of your own, by writing a fanfiction inspired by the characters or events of “The Freeze-Dried Groom.” Share your version of this haunting tale with Margaret Atwood and Wattpadders everywhere, and you could win.

You can read the full story here: http://www.wattpad.com/story/23381058-the-freeze-dried-groom-one-of-the-nine-tales-in

Contest Details:

Dates and Submission:

The contest will run from October 1st to October 31st, 2014, at 11:59pm EST.

To submit your story, tag it with #FreezeDriedFiction, and post it in a comment on this story.

The winner will be announced on November 18th (Margaret’s Birthday).

Judging:

Wattpad editors will select and announce the winner on November 18th, 2014.

Prizes:

Grand Prize: 1 grand prize winner will receive 1 signed copy of Stone Mattress, a tweet from Margaret Atwood, and Wattpad swag.

Runners Up: 2 runners up will also receive a signed copy of Stone Mattress.

Length:

Your story should be between 1000 and 5000 words in length.

What to write about:

If you’re not sure what to write about for your fanfiction story, here are some prompts to think about:

What does Sam really do for a living?

What is Gwyneth’s perspective on Sam and his shady lifestyle?

Could the woman Sam meets be a serial killer?

What happens after the last scene of the story?

Why did Gwyneth tell Sam to leave?

...or anything else you can think of.

Good Luck!