The Rains.

It was raining outside as the car sped through the National Highway. The raindrops splashed on the car window as he strained his neck to look outside.

Just before one hour, they had started off from the hotel in a taxi. The capital town of the state of Kerala, Trivandrum was a new place for him. They had arrived two days back and stayed in an ordinary Hotel, his father looking for the cheapest accommodation available. It took sometime to pack his belongings into the Black Trunk, they purchased last day from a shop nearby.

The luggage included clothes – white, blue uniforms, shoes and so many other things listed by the school in the Prospectus, which his mother kept on checking to see if everything was okay.

It was the first week of June and the monsoon had begun. The rain never seemed to cease. The schools in Kerala always re-opened during this week. There was moisture all around and children found it so enjoyable to be out in the fields.

The car took a sharp turn to the right from the Highway. The sign board on the side of the road, carved in stone, read -

Sainik School, Kazhakootam – 2 Kms

“Manu, we are almost there.” His father pointed to the signboard, which was not clearly visible through the moist window. The road was narrow and he could see paddy fields on the right side.

His mother sat silent. Her eyes were moist and she was lost in another world.

He knew a few things. That he was going to be separated from the family... That the new school was a residential one... That it was run by people from the Defence services... That for the next seven years he will be visiting home only during the vacations…

The car turned a steep bend.

Then he saw the gate. A large metallic arc, which read ‘SAINIK SCHOOL, KAZHAKOOTAM’, was visible through the front glass and in a moment the car went through the gate. Manu turned his head back to see the gate now at a distance behind the car.

It was like you entered a prison. He suddenly felt tense. Small buildings passed by. For a moment, he thought he saw a Post Office. There was greenery everywhere. Huge trees stood on both sides of the road. There were signboards everywhere.

The car was now making a very steep climb. He could not see anything outside now as the rain became strong again. He just had a glimpse of a big ground on the left side.

That is a huge ground. Why is it so big?

The car now turned right to a level road. Only then Manu saw the huge building that suddenly emerged in front. He could not clearly make out anything.

“That is the school main building”, the driver said.

The car made turns and at last stopped in a portico. His heart jumped in anticipation.

He lowered the side glass and looked out. He could see a few cars parked nearby and some families walking up the steps in front. His father motioned him to come out. His mother held his hand as they climbed the steps and walked into the hall.

She doesn’t want to leave me

Manu felt as if he was entering a new world. The hall itself was astonishing. It had a hexagonal design. There was a narrow spiralling staircase at the centre, which touched the top of the roof. Indoor plants stood in brown pots all around. There were flags everywhere. Huge brown boards with names written in white stood on top of the wall. A display of paintings made by the students was seen on one wall. There were drawings depicting athletic events. Photographs of military aircrafts, war ships were displayed on one side. Three corridors extended from the main hall. He could see other rooms, verandas and gardens through these corridors.

Is this a museum?

A man in military uniform appeared from the corridor on the right. Manu felt a shiver go down his spine. The man moved with firm steps and the thud of his boot echoed in the hall. As he entered a room along the passage on the left, Manu noticed the brown board on the wall, with golden frame and the golden inscription, which read – Principal, Colonel R K Singh

After a while, another person, a man in his forties with narrow eyeglasses arrived in the hall.

“Good morning and welcome all. I am Seshan, a teacher of this school. All students and parents are requested to follow me for further formalities. Later you shall be led to the respective houses.”

The induction process had begun.