Part 26

It was a week later. I’d golfed with Peyton every afternoon and we’d gone to the beach all weekend. I tried to keep my mind off of Frankie and how much I missed him, but every night when I laid my head down to go to sleep, my resolve failed. We facetimed every night. I loved seeing him. I loved talking to him. It was always a highlight, but it always reminded me how much I wanted him there with me. How much I wanted to kiss him and hold him in my arms and how much I missed him.

That day, that was when I made my decision. My mom seemed to notice my lifted spirits when I was getting ready to leave the house, heading to pick my brother up from school. “What’s got you so happy?”

“I made a decision.”

“Oh?” she smiled. My mom knew me too well.

“I’m go to call Ari and get her to help me when we get back from golfing.”

“I’m so happy for you, Zachary.”

**

“Really, Zach! You know he’s already accepted!”

“I know, but I just want this to be perfect. Will you please help me?”

“Of course. Of course. You get the ring. I’ll set up your flight and talk to his roommates to make sure of timing for everything. I’ll talk to you in a bit.” She sounded ecstatic.

“Just make sure you don’t tell him anything!”

“Of course! Talk to you soon!”

She hung up and I walked back downstairs.

“She going to help you?” my mom asked as I entered the kitchen. I nodded and grabbed my car keys off the counter. “Where are you going?”

“Well if I’m going to do this. I need a ring,” I giggled and left the house.

**

“Hello! Can I help you find something?”

I nodded. “I’ve never done this before. I need a ring.”

“Engagement ring?”

I nodded.

“Do you have any ideas of what the lucky lady would like?”

I laughed as his assumption.

“I think my boyfriend would be very amused that you just called him a lady.”

His eyes went wide. “Oh! Sir, I apologize.”

“Don’t. It’s fine. But yes. Frankie is very sparkly. I want to find something that will go with his personality. Something with a lot of shine. Definitely not traditional. And something that will look okay with a wedding band, too. I mean I don’t want him to have to take it off when we get married.”