Chapter 10: The Rift

We - the Marauders - spent the Christmas holidays at James's house. It was the most brilliant Christmas I've ever had. Few more like this, and I might actually start to warm up to the holiday... I hope Rose likes the ornament I made her.

**

Leo mainly kept to himself the remainder of the Christmas holidays – only deigning to leave Gryffindor Tower to either visit Sirius or check in on Remus. He was glad that Harry now had his broom back, but having to give up something that his uncle – the one blood relative besides Harry that truly loved him – gave him was the most difficult thing he had ever done. Remus said that he showed great maturity and selflessness in his decision to make Harry happy. Leo merely mumbled that he didn't have a choice.

This was a lie. At least, to Remus it was. Leo was quite the persuasive person – not to mention the fact that he possessed the uncanny ability to lie extremely well – and could very well have found a way to get his own broom back. But not Harry's. He had known there was no way he'd be able to get them both. So, as always, he put Harry's happiness before his own and let the boy have his broom.

Despite this, Harry and Ron were no longer on speaking terms with Hermione. They felt that, even if Harry now had his broom back, a great injustice had been done to Leo and that what Hermione had done was nothing short of criminal. Leo himself didn't hold a grudge against the girl. He knew that she did what she thought was best to keep him and Harry safe, something Ron and Harry failed to understand. Leo wanted to tell her this but, unfortunately, she spent all her time in the library (which Leo avoided like the plague).

Leo was actually glad when classes started up again and he had something to distract him from dwelling on his broom. He was excited about Care of Magical Creatures class, where Hagrid brought out fire salamanders. Leo had a rather pleasant conversation with them, asking them a barrage of questions on how they were able to create and maintain their fire so effortlessly. The salamanders were delighted to have someone who – not only could understand them – but had the same love and fascination for fire that they did.

It was Defense Against the Dark Arts that Leo was keen to get to. Since term had officially started, he and Harry could finally get to work on their anti-dementor lessons.

"Ah yes," said Remus, when Leo and Harry reminded him of his promise at the end of class. "Let me see... how about eight o'clock on Thursday evening? The History of Magic classroom should be large enough... I'll have to think carefully about how we're going to do this... We can't bring a real dementor into the castle to practice on..."

"Still looks ill, doesn't he?" said Ron as he and Harry walked down the corridor together, heading to dinner. "What d'you reckon's the matter with him?"

There was a loud and impatient "tuh" from behind them. It was Hermione, who had been sitting at the feet of a suit of armor, repacking her bag, which was so full of books it wouldn't close.

"And what are you tutting at us for?" said Ron irritably.

Leo, who had been walking some distance behind them, stopped and watched them all with vague curiosity.

"Nothing," said Hermione in a lofty voice, heaving her bag back over her shoulder.

"Yes, you were," said Ron. "I said I wonder what's wrong with Lupin, and you —"

"Well, isn't it obvious?" said Hermione, with a look of maddening superiority.

Leo's face paled.

"If you don't want to tell us, don't," snapped Ron.

"Fine," said Hermione haughtily, and she marched off.