Prologue

Darkness. 

The cave was folded by darkness, the small pool reflecting the next sky. A gray tabby tom looked around, as if expecting something to happen. His jaws were parted, tasting the air.

From the darkness, a scrawny tom padded out. He was furless with only a few lumps of fur sticking from his spine. His skin was saggy and lumpy, and with a few scars. His ears had a few cuts in them too. His blind eyes were gray and bulging, his whiskers bent. 

"Rock," the blind gray tom greeted as he sniffed the air. "I could tell you were coming again."

The furless tom, Rock, curled his skinny rat-like tail over his paws as he sat down. "Jayfeather," he breathed. Even if this hairless tom was blind, his eyes seemed to be staring straight at Jayfeather.

Jayfeather sighed suddenly, closing his cloudy eyes. "This better not be another prophecy or message this time," he sighed, irritated.

Rock stood up, moonlight pooling on his skin. Stars reflected in his blind eyes. His long, twisted, dirty claws unsheathed from his paws. "Something will happen. Four kits that shouldn't be born...."

Jayfeather pricked his ears forward, as if finally taking an interest.

"They didn't have to be born, or created, but the star's light shall wash them, bathe them, and thunder, river, wind, and shadow will be pooled with light, the darkness gone," Rock meowed, looking up at the stars. He looked as if he wasn't blind anymore.

Jayfeather bristled, flattening his ears. "What in StarClan is that supposed to mean? How do you StarClan cats even think we can solve this mouse-dung?" He hissed, his tail lashing.

Rock ignored the blind tabby's irritated tone, closing his eyes, to which you could see them bulging still. "If only the fallen holly stays where it is, will we be washed with light, but the sun will lie."

Jayfeather sighed, looking annoyed once more. "Could you be more specific about what all that means? How do I even figure out what a fallen holly is? And how can the sun lie-- oh, it's probably not even the sun!" He growled.

Rock opened his eyes, his blind stare fixing on Jayfeather. "Maybe once they come, will you get the message. You have been a medicine cat long enough to know that StarClan will never be specific." The tom's tone was firm.

Suddenly, Rock began to fade, the darkness around him fading too. 

Jayfeather found himself surrounded by swirling stars. He could hear them spinning, could feel the strong winds on his pelt. There were thin voices on the wind like whispers.

Jayfeather suddenly woke up, blinking. He parted his jaws, tasting the watery tang of the Moonpool. He could feel a warm flank beside his, and he could scent Leafpool. She was probably still dreaming.

Jayfeather lay still, his thoughts jumbled. Another prophecy. But about what? I need to know what Rock meant by the sun lying, and what the fallen holly is. And..... maybe even what these kits will be.

Suddenly, another thought struck Jayfeather. Fallen holly.... is Hollyleaf.... still alive perhaps?