Chapter One

Rose'sPOV

"No Ms. Philbert, your answer is the one incorrect, 'X' is equaled to y/2^7 multiplied by -6.5," I say, arguing with my Math teacher that her answer was incorrect. There was no way in me being wrong. I mean, I'm a Math geek.

     "Oh my, you're right Rose. Thank you for your outstanding contribution to the class," She replies, already wiping off the white board. A soft smile was on her 45 year old face.

     Taking my seat, I then tried making myself small. It's true that I practically made a huge scene from my seat but that was the most I could do. In class I felt supreme and no one could compete with me here. Other than when I am engaged with my studies, I'm the ant.

     The ant everyone makes it their duty to step on; this one ant which is constantly battered around for being in existence, the ant who is really tired of how persons treated her. Why can't I be like the average kids?Be normal and have a high self-esteem?

     Sigh, maybe it was just not meant to be. I mean, I do live a shitty life nonetheless.

     My attention was then brought back to the class when I felt a few paper balls making contact with the back of my head. There was no need for me to turn back because I already knew they would send different stuff at my face instead if I did.

     "Be more like Rose my ass. She's a sorry excuse for a human being."

     "I know, right? Who would want to be a nerd like her; disgusting!"

     "Why does she even attend our school? We all know that she can't afford to be here."

     All the murmuring about me became louder and more persons joined in speaking. Yes, I'm used to it but that doesn't mean that it didn't hurt me still. Every time they bad talked me, they do it near me as if I'm not even around. If you think they only have the courage to say it behind my back, then, you're wrong.

     I'm the target at this school and I don't even know why I chose here of all places to apply for a scholarship. I just thought that the students here would at least be a little different from my old schools.

     Pling!

     Sound of the bell echoes through the class but Ms. Philbert's voice overpowered it for some reason. "Students don't forget your SBA which is due on Friday, two days from now. You all should be like or take the example from Rose and give in your assignments before the due dates."

     She gained many groans, eye rolls and annoyed comments from the class. There was no way in hell that I was getting up from my seat together with everyone else. It was time for lunch and the end to the morning periods so this meant that I would get a taste of what I earned during those periods for sure. I better make myself invisible on my way out.

     My bag was packed quickly as I rushed out of my seat. I was going to make a run for it, the run for my life. "Have a great lunch Ms. Philbert!" I said to the teacher before making my speedy escape. She wishes me the same but I didn't even have time to thank her because I was already running down the hallway.

     The entrance of the school was so close and yet still so far away. I needed to make it before they realized I wasn't coming to the cafeteria for lunch. God, if you love me, you'd spare me this time-

     Someone's strong hand grabbed hold of the back of my baggy sweater and pulled me back. The weight of my body was no longer balanced causing me to land directly on my back. I could swear I heard a crack. I was in pain, my bones felt like they were being grinded against the cold tiles.