September 21st 2012

September 21st 2012

It felt like a huge burden had been lifted off of Troy’s shoulder as he watched the man being cuffed and led to the back of the police car. Ella’s expression matched his as the car sped off into the distance, leaving only catching dust behind.

“That was… quite the unexpected”, Ella finally managed once nobody else was around. She looked at Troy with a small smile, “Are you okay?”

“I don’t know, Ella, I don’t know how to feel.”

“Take a deep breath”, she instructed and he obeyed. She smiled and he smiled. “Now take another deep breath, as deep as you can”, she said and once again, he obeyed.

Ella stepped forward and so did he, “Look me in the eye, Troy.” His gaze didn’t waver for a split second, he gazed into the depths of her irises, as if in a trance. He saw all the things he felt; happiness, grief, relief, pain, trauma and uncertainty, swimming in her orbs.

“Tell me how you feel, Troy.”

“I don’t know how to feel.”

She stepped forward and kissed his cheek. “How does this feel?”

His heart beat faster and faster, “It felt like a kiss.”

Ella chuckled and wrapped her arm around his neck, “Troy, all the troubles are gone. You don’t have to worry anymore. You’re safe. Its all over.”

“I know, it’s just…”

“Remember that first day when you came to play ball with the Cardews?”

“Yes”

“Its something like that. You just have to shake it off.”

“That was my uncle, Ella. My uncle. My dad trusted him the most, hell he had a big fat fund in his name and it’s not nice to find out that he’s the idiot that’s been torturing my sister all these years.”

Ella leaned her head on his chest, hand still wrapped around his neck and Troy wrapped his arm around her waist. They stayed there for a few seconds and none of them said anything for a while.

“You know Troy, there are two kinds of people on this planet. The first kind, people like your uncle, mother, father and all the other corrupt shanks of this planet, they’re the kind who’d always look for the easy way out and then struggle in the end. The second kind, people like Harry, Aris and all the Cardews, maybe even Emily. They’re good people, they struggle and fight for themselves and life gives them success, good virtue and all the nice things in the world.”

“What kind of a person am I then?”

Ella chuckled and untangled herself from the mess they were in, “Oh there’s a third kind, but you’ll know when time comes.”

Troy closed his eyes, “I wish I knew what I wanted to do next.”

“I have an idea.”

“What is it?”

Ella turned his face so that he was facing her and crashed her lips onto his.