The Dead End

Aditya Kulkarni leaped towards the wardrobe to dress quickly. He had scheduled an important appointment for that day, and he had to reach his office within two hours.

Tossing a few shirts and pushing aside a few more in the wardrobe, Aditya cried out, ‘Meena, where’s my dark blue tie?’

‘It is right there,’ Meenakshi shouted back from the dining hall.

‘Where is it? I don’t find it!’

Meena quickly hopped into the bedroom as if there was something in his voice that demanded her presence.

Picking up the dark blue tie from the table in front of a mirror, she stared at him, raised her eyebrows, and shook her head in disbelief. In ten years of her married life, she never understood why he always looked for things only where he expected them to be.

‘I know today is an important day for you,’ said Meena, tucking a hank of smooth black hair behind one ear and taming his emotions with a pleasant smile. Walking towards him and handing over the blue tie to him, she added, ‘I placed this on the table so that you will find it easily.’

‘Thank you.’

He smiled and stared at her briefly as she left the room. Meena was as slim as she was when he had met her the first time ten years ago. She could easily be mistaken for a newly wedded girl if she was not seen together with their two children.

Aditya was ready in another minute. Looking into the mirror, he was happy the way he looked. He was tall and lean. Except for a small little paunch that he had put on, he looked perfect, like a confident businessman, in his light blue shirt, matching trousers, and dark blue tie. Leaning towards the mirror and pushing out the upper lip with his tongue, he observed how closely he had managed to shave his moustache. Rolling over his eyes on the mirror, he then looked at his eyebrows and brushed them with his thumb. With a few specks of grey hair around his locks, his thirty-seven years of age had begun to show off.

Carrying his suit and laptop along, he reached the dining table, where he found his two kids – school-going son and daughter – and his mother waiting for him. Taking his seat and joining them, he began to have his breakfast – three idlis in a fine bone china plate and peanut chutney in a cup beside it.

‘Hi appa,’ greeted his son. ‘Today is a big day.’

Aditya glanced at his son with a surprise and then smiled. Swallowing a small portion of an idli dipped in the peanut chutney, he thought, Not bad. He knows my business schedule!

‘Sachin is going to play against the Sri Lankans! He will thrash them all and hit a century, no?’ Aditya’s son was visibly excited.

That was the known side of his son – always lived in the world of cricket and recognised Sachin Tendulkar as the sole member of the Indian squad.

‘Hope so.’

Swallowing another portion of the idli, Aditya smiled and looked at his daughter and mother. Subconsciously, he also glanced at the wall clock for a quick time check. The appointment at his office was so important that he needed to rush.

Appa,’ said his daughter, ‘our teachers are taking us on a day-picnic to Nandi Hills. I need your signature as your consent to the picnic.’

Amma can sign, no?’

Amma wants me to check with you first.’

Uncertain whether Aditya would agree or not, his daughter looked a little anxious. Meena gave a knowing smile from behind.