Chapter 9: Hitmen

It was Friday, the day of preparation. Almost everyone in the town was there. It was in the center of the whole city, an diameter of three miles. There was room for other people. News stations came for the weekend. They were all local sports channels, setting up hidden cameras. A great disappointment on their part. Kailee was ready. Teams were being picked. People from out of town, even out of state, were coming to play, watch, anything they can. This is only the prep! Publicity shouldn’t be so large! I only said that we were going against the best team in town. It dawned on her that she said “best team” on the flyers. She made it known to others.

She was finally able to see the team leaders. It was some random guy and…Cody? Why is he here? She was on the other guy’s team. She recognized this boy. His name was…uh…Jackson. Wasn’t he the jerk who picked on John? He had his gang with him. An hour after the teams were chosen, they started.

John knew the prep was today, so he disguised himself as his alternate identity: Jeff Garn. He was picked onto Cody’s team. This was his chance to beat everyone else. We have thirty-two less people than the other team. He was afraid that the hitman would be here with a sniper, ready to shoot him. The game started. He ran out a window, into a tree. He walked along others, shooting the ones still on the ground, walking cautiously. He found another in the tree. they were shot promptly. So, the finally installed the TV’s? They can see the player count dropping.

There was a bunker not too far away. He ran across to the roof. There was a hatch on top that he crawled in. The flat screen in this room was off. He turned it on. The count was twenty-eight red, three blue. The count was lower than he expected. He used one of the hidden tunnels under the forest. He found the other two blue players. It was Cody and someone from out of town. “Are you hit,” asked Cody.

“No, I’m fine, you?”

They looked around at each other. “No,” they answered in unison.

“Good, we’re the last ones.” John looked around. He shot a red who wasn’t watching. They yelled, “‘Bout time!” They started to walk off. A group of four reds came by and knocked her over. “Hey! What’s that for?”

“Why’re you leaving,” asked the leader.

“He shot me.” They pointed at John. When they readied their guns, they were already shot.

“Okay, guys,” said John, “Twenty-three left.”

“What do you mean by twe--” The other who was talking was shot by a large team of twelve! John and Cody finished them off. There were eleven left.

“WE WERE THE LAST TWO,” yelled Cody, “YOU BLEW YOUR CHANCE!” The reds, who were shot in the large team, threw their guns. they picked them up, then walked away.

“You need to stop provoking people,” said John.

“You gotta explain yourself!”

“Why should I?”

“I don’t even know you!”

“Yes you do.”

“You’re an idiot!”

“You’re the one who followed me last night!”

“What the…John?”

“Yes.”

“You’re stupid! How’re you this good?”

“At what?”

“Paintball! Didn’t they give you a brain?”

“Yeah, how about you? I practiced! Use your brain!”

“I’m going! Idiots are full of it!” Cody left. John had no one to talk to, except himself. A couple from red team were talking to each other as they walked into the hall. John shot them not as fast as everyone else because they weren’t paying attention. He crawled back up the ladder. The TV showed the score. Six red, one blue. Dang it, Cody! You could’ve shot more. We’re still going to win. Me against six, that’s too easy!He left the shed from the roof.