Chapter two: Toil and Trouble

Chapter Two

by CyberAlias

60… 70… 80… 90… The indicator climbed the glowing numeric display rapidly… 100… 110… 120.

The road was just a grey blur; the streetlights sped past me in a long streak of orange-yellow neon. My tires skidded on the asphalt as I rounded a corner.

I was pushing it.

I swerved dangerously, narrowly missing a silver Mercedes

I was really pushing it.

I didn’t stay to find out whether that man made it to the hospital. Why would I? I had more pressing matters; Namely, officer Phillips.

As my car sped through the streets, my mind raced even faster.

This man had no visible motive. The victims didn’t seem connected in anyway. He made no demands what so ever. It was pretty obvious, we were dealing with a lunatic, but even lunatics had something. Anything. I banged my hands on the steering wheel in frustration. Just what we needed to add to the increasing crime rate: another psychopath.

My car skidded to a halt in front of Phil’s house. I didn’t even bother locking the door. My feet hit the tar before my engine even died down. I left the keys in the ignition. Careless, I know. Who cares? My car could wait.

In the academy, they always told us: Be calm no matter what. I was anything but. I pulled out my gun from its holster, aimed it at the lock and pulled the trigger. I’ll apologize later.

My gun and I took a 360-degree of the room. Its nose aiming everywhere, but there was nothing. No sound, it looked like no one was home.

My phone rang. The sound so alien I almost jumped out of my skin.

“Shit!” I pressed the receive button.

A small laugh came from the other end of the line. It was sad to say, I recognised his voice immediately. The artist. “Have you seen it yet?” His voice was breathy.

“No.” I ground out. My teeth clenched in anger. “What have you done to him you sick bastard?”

“Now, now Detective… Language.” He scolded as though he were talking to a child.

“What do you want?”

He continued as though he hadn’t heard me. “The world is devoid of colour, don’t you think? It’s a shame too…”

What the hell was he talking about?

“That’s one of the reasons I’m here… to bring it back.”

Bring what back?

“All that… life.” He finished off, his voice deepening on the final word.

“That’s ironic seeing as you’re taking it away.” I spat.

He laughed, the sound made my jaw lock reflexively. “Now, who said anything about taking it away… I’m only bringing it back.”

“How do you plan on doing that?” I asked conversationally

“You’ll see… in time.” I could almost see him smiling. “Do you like Macbeth… detective?”

I was left with the dial tone before I could reply. The bastard had hung up.

Music wafted around the house to reach my ears. I couldn’t place it… it sounded like some choir you hear in the opera house. The voices were high-pitched, straining, and yet beautiful.