He Had Always Been There

Boys? Hell no. Dating? Even more HELL NO.

I have eternally sworn off men.

I don't even spend time with men. Well, other than one.

Jace Rose.

Let me get one thing straight- I don't hang out with Jace voluntarily. He just seems intent on popping in and out of my life at random. But he's always around. Since we were children. Always.

Like now for instance.

I'm walking home from school for the day and it's slightly rainy. I would've called my mom to pick me up, but she's working and I know if I called, she would drop whatever she was doing and come for me.

Luckily, right now it's only sprinkling and not even heavily enough to really drench me.

I'm focused on the ground as I walk, trying to avoid the puddles and mud, when I hear him.

"Shayney!"

Oh crap. I pretend that I don't hear his call and I begin to walk faster praying that he wouldn't follow. Man, he doesn't take hints.

"Shayne! Shaaayyne! I see you walking away from me, Shade!"

"No I'm not!" I call to him over my shoulder, not bothering to look back.

Footsteps can be heard from behind me and soon, he falls in step with me as I walk.

"Shade, you're clearly walking. And it isn't in my direction."

I sigh,"Jace, it's raining. I was only trying to get home before it starts pouring. And my name is not Shayney. It's Shay," I said.

"You know, it's the name your mother gave you. How do you think she feels knowing that you don't use it?" He said, clutching his heart and batting his eyes.

"She named me Shayne. Not Shayney. And she is perfectly fine with my nickname."

"Which one? Shade?"

"No," I said to his ridiculous nickname. He'd given it to me to represent the darker part of my personality. I can be a little grumpy and mean sometimes.

"I like the name Shay, so she lets me use it."

"Hmm," he said, dropping the issue. "So, what I was going to say before you ignored me and kept walking was, that my mom and I are eating dinner at your house tonight."

"Okay?" I said, confused. His mom and my mom worked together and are friends. This wasn't an abnormal occurrence.

He grinned evilly. "Seeing as how I just got done with soccer practice and I'm supposed to be at your house tonight, I'm going to give you a ride to your house and we are going to hang out for the afternoon."

I didn't even break my stride. "Tempting, but I'm going to have to pass."

"Oh, come on! It's raining! Your house is pretty far from here. Just come with me!"

"Nope."

"Please?"

"No."

"Please, Shade? Please?"

"Hmmmm...No."

"I'll tell your mom." He said.