Chapter 11 - Hail Mary

It was the fourth day spent in the hospital and I was itching to get out of here. Clearly I had no problem now, I was better than ever, and I knew I could be more useful outside. Fortunately tomorrow they would release me, fingers crossed.

Dave was with me as much as he could, but things got pretty hectic with the investigation going. There were too many disturbing facts. For example, someone tempered with his gun, changing the bullets to blanks, and even though I couldn't be happier for it, it was still a mystery. Then there was the bomb. It was planted under the stage. Whoever did it, needed some serious preparation and couldn't work alone. They had at least one inside man... But knowing the explosive wasn't in the briefcase, eased Dave's mind a bit. It wasn't his fault.

"What, do you have a date tonight?" I asked him teasing as he was checking his watch for the hundredth of times in the last thirty minutes.

"In fact" He started apologetic. "I have a lead. I have to go out for a meeting" He explained as I suddenly felt disappointed. He usually stayed the night, making my misery more bearable.

But of course, he was right. We had to take all opportunity to end this nightmare and live a normal life again.

"With who?"

"Chanel Dyson"

"Oh. I see." I folded my arms around my chest. I knew her. She was one of our colleague, but Julia threw her out, because she wasn't devoted enough. I never liked her. A real man-eater.

"It's not like a real date" He ensured me softly caressing my forearm.

"Does she know that too?" I scoffed, the green-eyed monster taking control, as I pulled away cautiously.

"Come on, love, you have nothing to be afraid of" He tried to calm me with a hint of amusement in his tone. He looked entertained by my jealousy and most probably I must've seemed ridiculous, but at the moment his attitude only angered me beyond description.

"Well, regarding your information-gathering technique I should be quite concerned, don't you think?" I asked bitterly in the heat of the moment. Last time he needed to know something, he ended up in Julia's bed.

Yet I regretted it right away as I saw the heart-breaking pain in his eyes. That was really low of me. What was I doing? We should've been a team, we should work together not turning against each other.

"I'm sorry." I shook my head defeated. "I shouldn't have said that..."

"No, you had every right to do so" He stepped closer again, his expression softening.

"Actually, no I hadn't" I said feeling guilty. Forgiveness is also a promise, never to use someone's past sins against them. "I'm just on the edge, I guess." I really wished this whole thing would end soon.

"I'll be the first one to pick you up in the morning and take you home." He vowed, pressing a loving kiss on my forehead. "Everything will be fine, my beautiful, trust me."

DDD

The next morning couldn't come fast enough. I barely slept a few minutes. I was worried sick. First it was just a bad feeling about this meeting Dave had, but then as hours dragged by and I couldn't reach him on the phone, I had the worst scenarios playing in my mind. And he in Chanel's arms was one of the brightest.

"Miss Osborne" The doctor cleared her throat to get my attention. "Your papers." She handed me a few pages. The report on my condition and the treatments I've been through.

"Oh, thank you." I took them absentmindedly. "Am I good to go?" I asked. I had no words from David, but I hoped he would be waiting for me downstairs. At least that's what he promised, right?