1

I'm hiding under our staircase.  Again. It didn't work last time, but maybe they'll think I'm smart enough to find a new hiding spot.  I'm not.  I hear their footsteps. They could be silent, so silent. Silent enough to sneak up on a mouse.  Silent enough that even with their venom racing through your veins, you think it's a dream. Nothing deadly can be that silent. Wrong. I close my eyes thinking about my sister's silence.

"Shirina," Blythe calls.  "Come here. Shirina?" I hesitate. I look at all the toys scattered across my room. Momma told me to make a mess before she left so it would look like we were already attacked.  "Shirina!" Blythe's voice was shrill. She's scared I realize.  Scared or nervous, like at school before speeches.  Momma also told me to stay in my room with the door and window locked.  I heard footsteps outside my door.

"I'm coming, Blythe," I say quietly.  Blythe is scary when she's mad. She screams and yells and kicks. I open the door slowly and see my sister standing there. She smiles in relief.  "Momma said not to leave my room," I say. Blythe frowns.  She doesn't like Momma very much.

"Don't worry, Rina," Blythe said using Daddy's old nickname for me.  "Nobody will ever scare you again."  I feel a gust of wind. There can't be wind in the house. I turn around to see if my window in my room is open. Nope. I turn back towards Blythe knowing she'll laugh at me. She doesn't.  Standing next to her is a very old man. I start to back up. There are no old people. They all go into Great Sleep at 50.  He smiles at me. His teeth are fangs. I start to run back in my room. Blythe screams. I don't stop.

"He wanted you!" She yells. "Come back here, you selfish bitch!" I turn to see the man snap her neck into an awkward angle. He looks at me, takes her body, and leaves.

Momma came home later. I could hear her wailing in the kitchen.  I go down and see her over Blythe. Momma was crying and Blythe was looking at me.  She didn't move.  Dead.

Heavy thuds at the door bring me back to now.  I hear hissing, but they won't talk. They never talk. They go through the whole house.  I know it.  Not making any sound, but leaving a cold trail behind them.  I don't dare to move.  They come every week. I feel a hysterical laugh move up my chest and I smother it.

I stay still.  I wait.