Chapter 1/1

After Jo arrived at the airport it felt like time sped up. She felt completely invisible in the huge swarm of people waiting to get their baggage checked. It was early in the morning on a cold, winter Thursday, and Jo was just praying that her long, exhausting, flight to London wouldn’t get cancelled. She sat down next to a gloomy stranger, who she later discovered was named Ellie. Ellie looked about Jo’s age, and was wearing a huge red coat and jeans. She was just about to fall asleep in her chair when she decided to go grab a coffee from the lonely looking vendors. The cashier who had served Jo really freaked her out... He was a very mysterious looking man who had a strangely deep voice, his name tag read - Donovan. As Jo ordered, he asked if she wanted a shot of something in my coffee, she couldn’t even remember the name. Jo honestly wasn’t paying attention so she replied with a sure. Right as Donavan handed Jo the steaming drink, the lady at the front desk announced, “Now boarding 6:00 flight to London.” Jo frantically ripped the coffee from his hands and feverishly ran to the line. Barely cutting it, she looked over to her ticket for the seat number. The bold print read B5. Jo quickly got over to her seat, sitting coincidently next to Ellie, who was just as gloomy as she was before. As Jo finally got the chance to catch her breath, she realized that her stomach was causing some serious pain. Trying to think, she rewinds her day trying to remember what had caused the aching pain. Jo remembers being in the line waiting for her baggage to be checked, that couldn’t be it. A light bulb flicked on in her head, the creepy coffee guy! Trying to think of how and when he could have sabotaged Jo’s drink order, shes rewinds some more back to her order. Jo only had a vague memory of it, but it was still there. She remembers the deep frightening voice Donovan had. She also remembers him asking her about the special shot, of who knows what, the her coffee and her not paying attention one bit, saying why not. That had to have been it! The instant of Jo’s realization, the pain disappears. She looks around her, she felt like a brand new person. She was shocked by what she saw. It was like Jo was looking out of a pair of spy glasses. Above every person she looked at, there was something that looked like a bubble just floating in mid air. Inside of the bubble, read something like “On an Exhausting Business Trip” or, “Single Mom Raising a Newborn”. Jo looks over at Ellie, who hasn’t said a word to me, still confused at what was going on. Her bubble read “Had to Leave my family and Friends to Look for Job Opportunities”. Jo put a hand on her shoulder and told her that she would be her friend. She looked at Jo with the biggest puppy eyes anyone has ever seen. Before she could say anything else, Ellie burst out in tears. Jo gave her a hug and after all the crying and the looks from other people, they talked and laughed the rest of the trip.