1

"Go in di room, go put on your panty and socks.  Me soon come wid your uniform," said Lizzie's mom.

As soon as the words left her mom's mouth, Lizzie sprinted to the room and with her tiny four years old body, she made a big leap into her bed.

As soon as she landed, Lizzie boom-flicked across the bed. This felt like fun and Lizzie beamed with excitement as she continued her series of 'boom-flicks'. 

Lizzie bounced up and down in the bed gleefully as she had totally forgot what her mother told her to do.

By this time, Lizzie was too deep in her moment of fun that she did not hear her mother coming.  As Lizzie made her last boom-flick, she felt a stinging sensation across her bottom. 

Frightened, with eyes popped wide open, Lizzie quickly covered her bottom as if to stop the pain. Tears welled up in her eyes as her mother added couple more slaps to her naked body.

"Me sen' you in ya fi put on yuh panty an' socks an' you in ya a jump up an' dung inna di bed"

Lizzie's mother chanted with each slap.

"PUT ON YUH CLOTHES!" Lizzie's mother shouted.

Lizzie jumped in horror afraid to make a sound as the tears rolled down her cheeks. By this time, Lizzie saw her nicely ironed  uniform, neatly laid out on the bed. In her mother's hand, was the wooden clothes hanger.

Lizzie's little heart pounded even faster than before, trying hard not to do anything stupid to irritate her mom.

Lizzie quickly, but carefully put her panty and socks on, then her uniform. Still sobbing quietly, Lizzie watched her mother's every move cautiously until the clothes hanger was placed in the closet.

With a sigh of relief, Lizzie was finally dressed and ready for school. 

From that day, Lizzie was careful to listen to instructions given to her by her mom.  She never boom-flicked in her bed again...

Well, whenever her mom was home and she was always careful to do as she was told.

______________________________________

*Boom-flick is a Jamaican term for somersault.