Chapter 1

I was sitting in my studio apartment, listening to my roommate fuck his girlfriend. Ugh. The sound of the bed frame hitting the wall, the slapping of skin. How was this my life? Graduated high school and I don't want to go to college.

I opened my computer and went to my email. I see I got an email from the LA Dodgers manager.

"Dear Samantha Webber,

We are here to inform you, that you are the new ball girl for the LA Dodgers. We have noticed your brother, Jake Webber, has also been as the bat boy for the Dodgers. We want to congratulate you both for getting the job. The MLB season is starting very soon and we will be needing to see you every practice. Don't forget to come to spring training as well. Make sure to read the rules at the bottom of this email. We hope to see you next week.

-David R. Roberts"

"Oh. My. God. Oh my god? Oh my god!" I hear my roommate and his girlfriend moan one more time then there was not one single noise. I shut my laptop and begin to pack. My roommate, Nathon by the way, came into my room in his boxers.

"Why where you screaming?" His voice was raspy.

"I just got my dream job?!" I say, still processing about the fact I got an exception letter, along with my brother.

"Oh my god?! I'm so happy for you!" He went to go hug me but I pushed him away. We have this rule: After you 'do it', you have to take a shower, then we can hug. "Right. Congrats." He smiles at me.

Ugh. His smile. See, I've always had a crush on Nate. We've been best friends since, well since we were born. Our parents were best friends. Inevitably making us best friends.

It had just been New Years so I had a while before spring training starts. Grabbing my suitcases, I start to pack. Nate and I live around 2-3 hours away from the stadium. I've been looking online for apartments for a while.

I've always wanted an apartment for myself. It would be peaceful and relaxing. I'd love that for once.

Hours Later

I get a call from Jake.

"Hey, sis! Did you see the email?!" He asked. Jeez! He is enthusiastic!!

"What e-mail? What are you talking about, Jake?" I thought I might pull a prank on him just because he did when I came to visit him.

"Wait? You didn't get the email for the ball girl for the Dodgers?" He sounded concerned. Ok. Now I feel bad.

"No. Did you get the bat boy job?"

"N-no. Well, yea. I'm not going to do it if you aren't there with me."

"Jake. Take the job because I got the job too." I say

"I hate you." He hung up on me.

I feel so bad.

I continue to pack.

One month later

Today was the day I move to the new apartment. I had 21 days till spring training and 21 days to unpack. I've gotta say, I'm a little stressed.

I was wearing my 'BT' Hoodie with some gym shorts. Nate was helping me move boxes back and forth. Well, I don't have many things so we are just putting everything in 2 cars, mine, and Nates.

After driving a few hours, we reach my new apartment. Instead of a 2-3 hour drive, it's now a 15-30 minute drive to the stadium.

Nate and I agreed, since it was 10 at night, he was going to stay here so he doesn't have to drive back to his apartment.

The next morning

"Welp," Nate said to me. "I guess this is goodbye?" He seems unsure.

"Please don't say that," I can feel a few tears falling. Yea, we live 2 hours away, but we didn't have to worry about that. We always were together. We didn't need to worry about asking each other where something was.

Looking into Nates eyes, I don't know how to describe it, but I felt the need to kiss him. I saw him starting to lean in. All my dreams coming into play. I start to lean in too. As our noses grazed each other, his phone starts to ring.

What the hell Sam?! He has a girlfriend! He can't date you. You have other things to worry about. More than a stupid boyfriend.