Her.

*~ Work In Progress ~*

Leo sat at a small table by the large window in his new room. He pressed his lips into a line, picking up a bag from the floor before dumping the contents onto the surface. His sister had sent him a variety of hats to cover his now bare head. Thank you, chemotherapy. He let out a slow breath, thick brow furrowing while he pulled on a simple ball cap, glancing at his reflection in the window. He adjusted the bill and pulled it off, shaking his head. Not right. It looked far too small and just emphasized the lack of hair on his head. He grabbed another hat, a snapback. It was black with a neon green bill and various words printed along it in white. Oh dear, what was his sister thinking. He placed it on and immediately removed it. No. Nononono.

After trying on several more hats, the boy pulled on a bowler hat and turned his attention to his reflection, voids landing on a girl. A smile lined her face, her head shaking. She stepped into his room, hugging her thin frame.

"Nice." She laughed lightly at the hat that was far too small for him .. and too feminine.

Leo laughed and pulled it off, setting it on the table. "I'm not entirely sure if she meant to send that one." He watched while the brunette placed the black object onto her head. Perfect. "It looks great." He commented, his lips spreading into a smile. A laugh escaped the girl's lips while she adjusted the hat and leaned against the wall, a soft smile taking over her facade.

"I'm Emma." She introduced, extending her hand toward him.

"Leo," He responded and shook her hand, his smile widening.

"In all honesty, Leo, you have a nice head." She teased. "I think you look perfectly normal without a hat."

He nodded, his smile slowly fading. "Thank you." he responded, shifting in his seat. Fingers ran over his legs while he adjusted his sweatpants before standing. He had just began chemotherapy to shrink the tumors in his leg before they began surgery to remove them. So far, so good. He was progressing quickly but was required to live in the hospital. He wasn't entirely excited about it until now. He had someone to talk to. Emma . He repeated her name in his head a few times, the two syllable word echoing through his cranium. He blinked a few times when he heard the girl clear her throat .. great. He had been staring. He quickly shifted his attention to his hands, a nervous laugh escaping his lips. He peeked up at her once more, watching while she slipped her arms around her thin waist. She was watching him curiously, which honestly put him at ease. He cleared his throat a bit causing Emma to snap back into reality. She offered another smile, her pale lips spreading into a grin.

"Which floor are you on?" Emma asked in an attempt to start a conversation, honestly feeling a bit awkward. Neither of them seemed to be able to put together words, too lost in thought or in each other's features.