Chapter One

1

Have you ever thought up a billion ways to be popular? Like, when your best friend is popular and you aren't, but you wanna hang out with her, but the girls around her dont allow it? What about when you wanna be popular, but you get in trouble for it? I feel the same way. Everyday.

Seventh grade sucks, lemme tell you that. My friends think their too cool, and I'm here like, What should I do?

This is my story.

~~

"Marilyn! Marilyn!" My best friend Bree called, waving her hand across the campus. She ran towards me, some textbooks in her hand. 

"What?" I smiled, grabbing her silent reading book, waving it against my face for some cool air.

"Guess who asked me out?"

"Who?!" I squealed, laughing hysterically. "I sound like a 5 year old."

"Ha! And Gilbert did!" She sighed.

Gilbert was her ultimate crush for 4 years. Ever since fourth grade, she'd talk about how dreamy his eyes were, how chocolate hair fitted him so well.

"Oh my gosh, congrats, what did you say?" I obviously knew the answer, but I had to keep the conversation going before 3rd period.

"Yes of course. And-" Bree stopped talking, being interrupted by Retina, the most popular girl in school.

I sighed. "You're friends with her?"

My question never got answered, for she ran towards Retina, blowing me off. I watched them hug, Retina's evilness starring at me.

She was evil, but something about her was itching me to be like her. She was popular, cool, and just, my desire.

Bree waved me over to her clique, and Retina automatically whispered something into her ear, and Bree mouthed, "Never mind, see you later."

I sighed and picked up my pace, walking towards the vending machines. I turned around to see Bree starring at me, but right when I faced her, she turned to talk to Retina, and her friends Lacie and Savvy.

Why couldn't I be popular? The thought ran through my mind. It seems easy, right? All I need to do is change about everything.

I bought a Pepsi from the vending machine and poured the bottle in to my thermist. 

Watching Bree walk away with the three girls, I shook my head and was off to 3rd period. On my way, the bell rang. I hurried across the way.

----------------------------

"Yes, Ms. Alestar?" 

"Um, what's the answer? I forgot to correct that problem." I spoke shyly, hearing whispering making fun of it. 

"45x 9.8%" Mr. Margo said.

I nodded.

Retina laughed with her friends. I looked at them, and Savvy saw me. She let out an "Ugh!" to let Retina know I was watching. 

Retina, the girl who sat in front of me in class, turned around. "Um, Bree's our friend now. Leave her alone."

Leave her alone. Okay, maybe I should. See how she likes it. 

Come on Marilyn, that's not a true friend.

But she's doing the exact same thing to me!

Be the bigger person, Marilyn.

No. Revenge.

Suit yourself, my girl.

The voices in my head traveled all around my brain, making my head hurt crazy. Bree has everything I want. Popularity, boys, and a good wardrobe. I didn't even hear the teacher talking throughout the period. When the bell rang, my heart dropped. Because I had next period with Bree.

What would I say? Would I do? This is all just a disaster. Bree, my so called "best friend" left me for the group I wanna be with. Why? Why me? Why me in this situation?

Bree walked up to me, saying with a smile, "Hey."

"Oh, so now you talk to me. I see." 

"It's not like I wanna stop talking to you, but Retina doesn't want me going near you." She said, softly. "I'm sorry."

Sorry for what? The fact that she's totally growing apart from me? Yeah. Apology accepted, Bree.

"Not flying with me." I sat down on a random desk. She sat far away from me. I rolled my eyes and flipped through my notebook. Bree pulled out her phone and her thumbs moved across the screen. Since when does she text in class?

Ugh.

Picture of Marilyn on the side.