Prologue

Prologue

I stepped outside, feeling the warm sunlight hit my skin. I loved it. It was peaceful for once and everything felt just right. It felt like I was- normal again, a simple human with not one care in the world. I sighed as my eyes fluttered closed.

This was the one moment in my life where I didn't feel the need to run. And I was enjoying every second of it.

Suddenly, I heard a noise and my eyes flew open in fear. I looked around, until my gaze froze on something, or should I say some one. A smile spread across my face and my fear quickly went away. "Kol!" I shouted as I ran toward him, jumping into his arms. I don't think there was ever a time in my life where I've felt this happy.

He chuckled, setting me to my feet as pulling me in for a passionate kiss. As we pulled apart I rested my forehead on his, my eyes closing. The world around me'd stopped and there was no one and nothing else besides us.

All of a sudden, something felt- wrong. I didn't feel the bright sunlight anymore, and I no longer felt Kol's embrace around me. I opened my eyes only to find dark skies surrounding me and the person that I'd been running from the most.

Klaus Mikaelson.

"What is it, love? Not the person you were expecting?" He teased with that disgusting smirk on his face. My smile was quickly ripped off of mine. I scanned my surroundings once more, making sure I wasnt hallucinating.

Where was Kol? Why had he left me here with Klaus? Suddenly, my throat started to close up and I couldn't breath. I fell to my knees, gasping for air and grabbing onto my throat. What the hell was going on? Klaus chuckled looking down at me. "Katerina Petrova, how pathetic." He laughed, kicking my side, making my fall to the ground on my back.

"You're nothing. Nothing. Kol didn't even want you. And he never will." He continued with a smug look on his face.

"No!" I gasped out. "Stop!"

Before I could react, he dragged me up by my shoulders and smiled. "You suffering is like music to my ears, love"

I made a disgusted face, and my throat, much to my liking, opened up. I hurriedly pushed Klaus away with all of my strength and ran into the opposite direction, searching for Kol. "Kol? Kol?!" I shouted. But no answer. It was dull and quiet. And this time, it wasn't peaceful. The trees were lifeless, the grass was dead and crows surrounded me. Tears filled my eyes as I began to become frightened. I couldn't die. Kol wouldn't let me. Not right now, not like this.

I had no where else to go now. It was a dead end. Quickly, I turned around meeting Klaus' dark gaze. Veins appeared under his eyes and his fangs grew. Shit.

He began to walk closer to me, and if I could, I would run or back up. But that wasnt the case. I knew I was going to die.

Klaus grabbed me by the waist, pulling me into him a sinking his fangs into my neck. I screamed, cried, struggled, and yelled out for help. But it was useless. And there, I fell lifeless in Klaus Mikaelson's arms.

****

My eyes snapped open as I gasped for air. I ran my hands through my long brown curls.

"Its okay Katherine, it was just a dream." I sighed mumbling to myself. A huge smile spread across my face as I realized who was sleeping beside me. The love of my life, Kol Mikaelson. But as I turned my head to look at him, my smile faded. He wasnt there. His side of the bed was empty. Well, I couldn't say his side of the bed because things got pretty crazy sometimes- but that wasn't the point, especially not right now.