Chapter 1

Note: This is a work of fanfiction. All Marvel and ATLA themes and characters belong to the creators. I only own the original characters.

XX

Shadowbreath

The New Avenger

Joey threw his long legs over the side of the antiqued loveseat positioned in front of the large flat screen television and settled further into the tapestry fabric comfortably. He craned his neck to see if he pulled the attention of Luca Russo, the Underboss of the Genovese Family, and the three armed men guarding each doorway.

"Ragazzo, how many times have I told you not to jump on your father's furniture like that?" Luca chided in exasperation from the plush couch, his sharp eyes narrowed at the younger man. "You're twenty-five years old for Christ's sake, it's time you learned how to follow orders."

Joey flashed a handsome smirk at his father's right hand man, delighted to annoy him in any way possible. "But Luca, when the time comes, people will be following my orders. Not the other way around."

Luca snorted, turning his attention back towards the press conference lighting up the television. Colonel James Rhodes from the United States Air Force was about to announce Tony Stark, the billionaire that the news had been making a huge fuss about recently. "You've got a long way to go before that's going to happen, kid. You need to gain the respect of the entire family before you take over." He waved his hand loosely, gesturing to Joey, "Just being the boss' kid ain't gonna cut it."

"Yeah, yeah, I hear you. Can you at least turn the volume up?" Joey asked, and Luca complied with a grunt. The sound reverberated throughout the spacious living room, which beat in the heart of the enormous victorian style mansion splayed across a section of 79th street in New York City.

The Colonel was dressed sharply in his uniform, adorning an impressive array of medals. "And now Mr. Stark has prepared a statement. He will not be taking any questions, thank you."

When Tony Stark appeared, a low rumble erupted from Luca's throat, and Joey raised an eyebrow at the Underboss' obvious contempt for the playboy billionaire. Joey didn't mind him so much, but that was more because he was impressed with Stark's advanced technological discoveries and inventions than anything else. He had even been playing around with the idea of testing his hacking skills out on the genius' system. Who knows what secrets he could uncover with the right motivation.

Tony Stark, with his perfectly styled black hair and tailored suit, reached the podium and tore off his tinted red sunglasses dramatically. "Uh, it's been a while since I was in front of you, so I'll stick to the cards this time." A chorus of laughter murmured throughout the crowd of journalists. "There's been speculation that I was involved in the events that occurred on the freeway, and on the rooftop-"

A woman in the front row interrupted his speech, which was obviously heading towards the denial that he was indeed Iron Man, a name the media coined after the very public battle last night. "I'm sorry, Mr. Stark, but do you honestly expect us to believe that it was a bodyguard in a suit that conveniently appeared? Despite the fact that--" Joey thought the woman had a good point. These publicists didn't stand a chance at convincing the entire world that Tony Stark wasn't involved.

Stark cut her off, trying to salvage the slowly growing protests. "I know that it is confusing, it is one thing to question the official story, and another thing entirely to make wild accusations or insinuate that I'm a superhero."

Luca snorted, "Superhero?"

The woman smirked, "I never said you were a superhero."

"You didn't?" Stark blinked.