Chapter Two

"SIR, PINAPASABI ng mama niyo na idaan ko muna kayo sa Monte Verde."

Aga released a sigh. Of course, his mother knows. No matter how hard he tries to hide everything from her, she'll all find out at the end of the day.

Aga removed his eyes from the bewildering sight of Manila roads which he has not seen for five years. The aridity of Manila is indeed incomparable. He can remember being hit by a wall of heat as he came down the stairs of the plane early this morning. He noticed that a lot of things have changed, he just can't pinpoint whether the changes are positive or not. Six years ago, he promised himself he'll never go back to this country but look at where he is now.

"How did she find out that I'm already home?" home.

"I mean, wala akong ibang pinagsabihan na uuwi ako ng Pilipinas kundi ikaw at si Romcell. How the hell did she find out?"

Aga caught Mang Anton smiling from the rearview mirror.

"Kayo naman ho, parang di niyo kilala ang Madam Annette. Bawat kilos ng mga anak niya eh nakasubaybay siya. Sabik na sabik sa mga anak na lahat naman ay nagsipag-abroad, eh kahit pasko ay di niyo man lang madalaw."

The usual Mang Anton he knew. He's been their family driver since he was 12. He had the chance to switch careers but he chose to stay. Aga is not complaining though, Mang Anton was a way better father figure compared to his dad.

Aga used to have a very close relationship with his family but he chose to isolate himself and deal with his own life years ago. He knew that it had broken his mama's heart especially when he decided to follow his dad's footstep and worked with him in New York.

His mother was nothing but a darling. Everybody loves her. Annette Zamora is a retired lawyer and a former senator. A great mother of three daughters and a son and a loving and martyr wife to Alonzo Morales, one of the richest New York-based Filipino entrepreneurs. She's a philanthropist and has a very big heart. As much as Aga tried to be as cold-hearted as his dad, he can't deny that he had inherited his mom's kindness and sweetness which he's been trying to hide up until now. He does not want it to mess with his macho and Cassanova reputation. He does not want it to have an effect on his masculinity.

"Hindi madaling umuwi Mang Anton." Aga said, with an audible snide in his voice.

He looked at his wristwatch and saw that it's only 7:34 am. He's feeling a mild spasm in his temples due to jetlag.

He tried to relax in his seat despite the countless agonizing thoughts in his head.

"Eh bakit ho ba kayo bigla-biglaang bumalik? Masyado naman kayong pa-sorpresa niyan."

He was surprised too. And the word SURPRISE is actually an understatement to describe what he felt and is still feeling right now.

"It's all business Mang Anton. May aksidente. May kailangan akong ayusin. May kailangang kausapin. May kailangang singilin." Aga said the sentence with all temperance and with a set of gritted teeth.

They travel silently along the length of the more congested Edsa.

"Ano sir Aga, dadaan po ba kayo sa mansyon?"

Mansyon. Aga smirked after hearing that word.

"No. Let's go to the bank."

A different bank.

AGA ROUSED from his nap when he heard his phone ringing. He looked at the caller ID and saw Romcell's name on it.

"Hello, update?" Aga said with his voice sounding impatient.