Chapter 1: The Baking Endeavor

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hi! Thanks for taking interest in Don't Mind the Gap!

This story is unedited at this point, and I'd greatly appreciate any constructive criticism, grammar corrections, notes on points of confusion, etc. Thanks so much for giving this story a chance!

This is a sort of fun, cute writing project I've got going alongside some of my other projects. I hope it's an enjoyable read!

By the way, for the little picture in the header, for this story, I'm thinking of doing a color that shows up in the chapter as a little hex-code value thing (like above) for every chapter. This one's a blue for Prithika's oven mitt!

 This one's a blue for Prithika's oven mitt!

THE BAKING ENDEAVOR

"Shit," Prithika muttered, then glanced around to reassure herself that her parents hadn't gotten home and heard that. Did she add too much sugar?

She glanced at the measuring cup, with a fine dust of the cocoa coating the sides, then at the recipe, then at the bowl she was mixing everything in. The mound of cocoa powder, unmixed, definitely seemed like a lot more than just one cup. She'd been using a one-half cup scoop, but had she used it two times or three? Daydreaming never mixed well with trying to bake things.

Sighing, she took a picture of her current situation and sent it to Laila. Using that big bowl from when u were helping me out last week. Can u tell how much cocoa powder this is? And then, for good measure, she added a couple more pictures from different angles.

Laila Jefferson was a supremely talented baker who was generally the one thing stopping Prithika's baking attempts from being abject failures every single time. With Laila by her side, Prithika never got the recipe wrong. This evening, though, Laila was getting braids in to make her hair a little more low-maintenance than an afro for the start of school. Fortunately, she was still available over the phone, because Prithika soon got a text back: Looks more like one and a half cups to me. And then, Did u add too much?? It's supposed to be just one cup right?

"Dammit," Prithika whispered. All she had to do was follow the recipe, and she'd still messed up. Oops, she texted back.

Ur already off recipe?? came the response. Then, Just get another bowl out n do half the recipe w/o the cocoa powder then combine the batter. Ngl I'm a lil worried lol :P

Prithika sent back, Hey!! Positive thoughts <3. Then she went back to trying to salvage the mess she made.

Let's see, she thought, pulling out another mixing bowl from the cupboard. Half the recipe. So that's one egg, just a quarter of that thing of butter...three-eighths of white sugar and brown sugar each? So that's one-fourth cup and then a half of one-fourth cup...

Her brain seemed to twang in pain, like a dusty violin that hadn't been tuned in years. Math didn't come so easy after a whole summer of not doing it.