Prologue

"Ash." A voice called to me. I groaned as I was being shaken awake. "Ashanti, you must wake up. Remember that nation is coming to visit."

"Maudie, I'm awake." I sighed, sitting up. "Why do I have to be there for when Papa meets these foreigners?"

"Because it's your responsibility." Maudie said as she delicately removed the bedsheets from my legs. "Come on, step out."

I got out of bed and walked across my large bedroom quarters. In my bathing room, the many maids gently held a large white cloth and lowered it into my tub.

I stood there with lazy eyes, allowing for the soft linen of my nightgown to be removed from my body. I stepped out of it, then waited as a maid brought over a bowl of water. She bowed her head and curtsied, humbly holding the bowl with her head down. I washed my hands, then my face, then inside of my mouth. When I was finished, she quickly walked away with the bowl to dispose of the water.

A large container of heated water was brought over and poured into my tub that was carved out of stone in the center of my wash room. I stood there nude waiting for them to add perfumes and pedals to the clean and heated water. Then, I walked around the large perimeter of the tub to make it to the steps. Behind me six women followed, three on the left and three on the right.

The women helped me step down into my bath, then I was scrubbed and covered in rich oils. Afterwards the ladies stepped out and allowed me to relax in my tub. I had no intention of leaving anytime soon, a nice bath in the morning was one of my favorite activities.

But then Maudie returned.

"Your highness, you must make haste. I've gotten word that their ships have landed on the coast. It shouldn't take long for them to arrive at the palace." Maudie warned. She was the highest of my servants. She'd helped raise me from when I was a child and always kept track of my whereabouts.

Maudie stepped into the doorway across the room and motioned with her hand. My three ladies in waiting arrived in the room, standing in a clean cut line.

First in line was Anne, who was the sweetest of them all. She was naïve and constantly falling in love with noblemen. At every banquet, she could be found dancing the night away. Her thick hair always framed a smile on her face. Her dark eyes constantly glowed. Every bit of her seemed to be made of kindness and a constant gratitude for life and her soul.

Second in line was Thérésa, who was the most level headed of the three. When she was a child, her family moved to court from Spain. She was extremely insightful when it came to the world around us and the world beyond. At night she could be found whispering sacred words over precious stones and trinkets. She stood out amongst the natives, her skin being pale and her thick hair straight. However she was in the same in the fact her eyes held truths.

The third was Lantana, the wisest of the three. Her beauty was above all of the others, but it didn't matter to her. She could constantly be found reading books and filling her mind with knowledge. Her heart was always pure, but I feared for her. My kingdom was always open to new ideas, but they were skeptical when it came from the lips of a woman.

"Ashanti, we've gotten a letter for you." She smiled as she walked over. My ladies in waiting were more than just consorts, they were friends. I didn't require them to adhere to the stiff rules and regulations of the palace in privacy. Anne crouched down next to the tub, her opulent dress pooling around her legs. She pressed the delicate paper to her heart. "The seal is that of Ayo's house."

"The house of Ade, it must be from Ayo." I smiled as I took the letter from her. My lips kissed the red seal, then I broke it. Unraveling the paper, I calmed to see it truly was my love's handwriting.

Ayo and I had been set to marry since we were children. This was something that I never disapproved of, for he took my heart from when we were young. We hardly saw each other, he lived in a mainland Kingdom. However whenever he got the chance, he made sure to pay a visit to our island.

"He says that he should be here soon. His family is going to meet with that nation coming to court." I read with a vivacious excitement.

"Oh, you mean the 'foreigners'?" Maudie asked as she walked back in. "I thought you didn't care to meet them?"

"But if Ayo will being here, then that will make everything sweeter." I rested the side of my head on the tub. "Maybe it would even make things bearable."

"It's been a while since you last saw your love, hasn't it?" Anne asked with a pout. "It's the saddest thing I've ever seen."

"That's how young love is. It hurts the most." Lantana sighed as she walked over to where Anne crouched beside my head. "But soon you two will be married and the both of you will be together forever ."

"Forever..." Thérésa rose her eyebrows. We all looked to her, then she pursed her lips together. She never spoke a lot, but when she did it always had purpose. Of course, in that moment, one does not realize that. "Love lasts forever, it's true."

"I want to marry a prince..." Anne imagined with her hand on her cheek. "All of the furs and jewels you'll get."

"I have those." I reminded her, my eyes shut as I relaxed in the tub. "All I care about is strengthening my country with this marriage. The fact I have fallen for Ayo is just another thing to be thankful for."

"Come on, her up and get dressed! You have to be ready for their arrival!" Maudie pestered once again.