Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"You need to be more careful, Parvana. Alam mo namang...." He trailed off and came a sigh from the other line. I bit my lower lips and nodded, even though he cannot see me. Pulling myself up from the bed, I opened the window and stared at the lazy moon, cruising alone in the dark sky.

"I know. I'm taking care of myself."

"Tatlong linggo na tayong hindi nagkikita. You should book an appointment with me as soon as possible. See if there's any progress."

"Yes. I understand." I quickly spun around when I heard a soft knock, followed by the twisting of the doorknob. "I'll call you again."

Hindi pa man siya nakakasagot ay pinatay ko na ang tawag at inayos ang sarili. I slipped my phone inside my pockets and pasted a soft smile as Zeus entered the room.

I tried to remain the smile on my face, though I am very disturbed by the sight of him right now. He's only wearing a black silk robe and his skin is damp and glistening from the shower. His hair looks longer now that it's dripping wet. When the moonlight slanted on his face, I could see how serious he looks right now.

"Busy?"

Mabilis akong umiling. I decided to wipe the smile off my face. Seeing him, standing in my doorway with nothing but the thin fabric of silk makes me feel so silly for wearing a fluffy pair of pajamas and nighshirt.

"Do you want something, Zeus?" malumanay kong tanong sa kaniya.

"You."

I was stunned at the brisk tone of his voice. Blinking back, I tilted my head to study him.

"Me?"

"I mean... I'd like to have a drink with you."

I opened my mouth to protest, but he beat me to it.

"Don't worry. You'll have some juice..." he finally stepped inside and closed the door behind him. The air is suddenly thick and heavy with only the two of us inside the spacious room he's given me in his house. "Unless you want to taste some gin again..." the corners of his lips lifted up in a cruel smirk.

My cheeks reddened. Mabilis kong isinuot ang tsinelas at itinulak siya palabas. "Stop teasing me."

He chuckled darkly. "I'm not teasing you."

Inirapan ko si Zeus. Nang tuluyan na kaming makalabas sa kwarto ay tumigil na din ako sa kakatulak sa kaniya. Hindi ako umimik nang inakbayan ako ni Zeus habang pababa kami ng grand staircase. I refused to glanced at him, too, because I know his robe is hiking up, revealing more skin than necessary.

Ipinikit ko nang mariin ang mga mata. Nagiging makakasala ako dahil kay Zeus. He can easily strip the holiness of any woman just by his smoldering gaze. If I were a Catholic girl, I would probably drop my rosary. But in my case being a Muslim, I took off my hijab for him. Ganito ba talaga ang epekto niya sa akin?

I bit my lower lips. No, Naia. It was more than the desire. It was more than the desire to be near him and be loved by him. It was a call of desperation. It was your last resort. It was a heart and back breaking move for him, but for him, I know that everything is worth it.

Nang makarating na kami sa baba at iginiya niya ako patungo sa kaniyang bar ay kinapkap ko ang dibdib ko. I have a heart that is just as big as my fist but how can I love him this much? Is it really possible for someone to love another person this hard? This intense? The power of love, as much as it is amazing, is also terrifying.