Coma, My True Story. chapter 2

It is amazing how one's mind can, and will, compensate for one's failings and for one's skills as my Nightmares were to testify to.

I could well understand people thinking of being in a Coma is like being dead! An inky-blackness No stimuli, you can't hear, feel, speak or see.

If it wasn't for the faint 'Pulse' and the 'Brain Activity Monitor' flashing away, you are as good as dead. But it wasn't like that for me, just the opposite. The life I was living, 24 hours a day seven days a week for nine weeks was HD sharp, as real as any of my life had been until then.

At no time did I think I was dreaming, It was too realistic and it went on for too long.

As I had worked for The Security Services, (Worked for, not a member of, Too many rules!) My life suddenly became a flight from assassins who would use any dirty trick to get me, and knowing myself that I would never give away secrets, my capture would be the end of my life.

My subconscious used my life-skills to aid in my fight against this band of killers were they from Smersh? ( I had always loved the James Bond films.) I was a Gold Medalist archer so bows of every kind I would 'Find' on my escape tactics from my pursuers, I had also been a Soldier, so that skill was also used, and I was a Marx Man with both rifle and pistol and could throw a knife like a gipsy.  I also learned to fly when I was 18, at Hawker-Siddeley in Hawarden, (Now BAE Systems Broughton)

All skills my subconscious used to keep me alive and kill my enemy pursuers. I think I always knew the brain is vastly underused, a general statement i know but I can only speak for myself, many times in the past a dream i was having would come to its ending in the exact instant where a 'shot' would be in my dream at the same milisecond there was a loud knocking on my door, say from a postman, I always awoke with a start.

I am also a realist, I have seen things either through injury or delirium where I knew the images I was seeing was not real, merely an illusion.

But these nightmares were different, Why? Because they went on in great detail and for so long. I could smell the cordite, taste the blood, feel the heat and experience the terror of pursuit.

The very first nightmare I experienced was my waking up in the Hold of a light, twin-engined Aircraft, When I say the Hold, I mean an area at the back of the plane just divided from the main 'cabin' by thick  grey polyethene dividers with zips all around and a small clear oval near the top where one could peer through.

I stood up, I was dressed lightly in dark slacks and a black t-shirt, I glanced into the next compartment and saw a baby calf, no more than a few weeks old, lying down with its eyes closed, I could see it breathing so I knew it was alive.

I peered through into the main cabin and to my horror I saw my youngest brother with his wife and two teenage sons being held at gunpoint by a tall rough looking man, he was saying something, but i couldn't hear through two polyethene dividers.

I looked further and saw a Pilot and Co-Pilot, I recognised the aircraft as an 8 seater Beechcraft, I am not sure if you are aware of this but pilots always sit on the left side seat, co-pilots on the right.

I glanced around my space and found a long slither of window glass, The aircraft must have had one of its windows damaged and this was left behind by mistake. (It's amazing how the mind will equip you with solutions when it's necessary!)

I knew if I tried to escape using the zip the man would hear me so I carefully and quietly slit the corner of the plastic to reach into the calf's space. I was worried the calf would stir and give me away but it remained asleep, it must have been sedated for the flight, (It never occurred to me to wonder why a calf would be aboard a light aircraft?)