3

I walked into the lobby of Carlton, hands shaking. I didn't exactly get the internship yet but they wanted to meet with me to discuss the next steps toward getting the position. I walked over to the receptionist and she tells me to take a seat while I wait for Mr. Carlton to come and get me.

I sit as patiently as I can while biting the inside of my lip. It's something I do when I get nervous or stressed. I look around the lobby and notice a guy around my age sitting in the seat farthest from me. He looks just as nervous as I am but manages to smile when he catches me glancing at him. I smile back but break eye contact when I hear the door to my left open.

Mr. Carlton walks out and smiles at the two of us. "Hello miss Ryanne Matthews,  mister Thomas Wilson. Please follow me."

We both stand up, looking at each other curiously. We follow Carlton through the door and into one of the big conference rooms that he has. We both stand awkwardly in the back until Carlton sits down at the head of the table, his assistant and someone who I am not familiar with sitting next to him.

"Well come on you two! No reason to be nervous. Please, take a seat."

I walk over to the chair in front of me and sit down, crossing my hands on the polished table in front of me.

"So, I bet you're both wondering why we called you in here today. You see, you are both extremely talented and you both had amazing interviews that stood out to us. However, we were unable to pick just one of you. Now, we don't have a position for the both of you. Only one will be chosen."

We both glance at each other from across the table. I shift uncomfortably in my seat not completely sure where this conversation is heading. Was he supposed to be my competition? Or are they going to tell us at this moment who got the job and who didn't.

"Because we were having such a hard time choosing between the two of you, we decided that we would let one of our clients decide who will be the intern for the next year."

I look up at Thomas and see the same panicked look on his face.

"One of our clients has an album coming out in two months. One of you will stay on to work with him and help promote his new album. Now, you might be wondering how he will choose between the two of you. Well! You will both be designing an album cover. The cover that he chooses is the one who will stay on with our company. The client won't know whose cover is whose however, we would like for each of you to spend a little bit of time with the client. Get to know him, see the type of person he really is. It will help you get a better understanding of the type of artwork he would want for his album cover."

Now that I look at Thomas I see him as my competition. I have no clue what his work looks like but I know it must be good because here he was. Not only did I have someone who I am sure is great at what he does competing against me but, I am sure that whoever this client is, he is famous. Very famous. Carlton only works with the best of the best.

Mr. Carlton's words could not have been timed more perfectly because as soon as he finishes, the door in the back of the room opens.

"Ahh! Here he is now. Mr. Styles! Come take a seat!"