Chapter Nine

I sit out in my car, taking a few deep breaths, but there's no stopping the onslaught of tears coursing down my cheeks. This hormonal thing sucks. I don't think I have ever cried this much in my entire life.

I scrub at my face with my jacket sleeve and get going. I just want to get back to the apartment. The moment I step in the door, I pull out my phone and keep my promise.

TEXT MESSAGE:

-I'm home... Delete, Delete, Delete, Delete... I'm back. SEND.

I wait a few seconds and nothing. What did I expect? I know Alex is working and most likely doesn't have access to his phone, but I am suddenly desperate for a friendly human voice. I call William.

"Hey, Gorgeous! What's up?" 

I break down crying.

"Okay. It's Okay. I'm coming over. Don't hang up," William says. "We'll talk while I'm on my way, okay?"

"Okay," I say feebly, trying to catch my breath. I shrug out of my coat and toss it aside. I know William isn't that far since he lives on campus.

"Can you tell me what happened? Is it the baby? Is something wrong?"

"No, I...no. I just... I'll explain when you get here. I just need a friend right now."

"Well, you got one. I'm on my way. I'm sorry you're going through this, Cat. You don't deserve any of this."

"If I've learned anything in my twenty years of existence, William, it's that life is never a matter of deserves."

He half laughs. "I can't argue with you there."

I'm pacing around the apartment. I can't sit still because I'm filled with this restless energy that is making my skin crawl.

"I feel like I'm falling apart," I confess. "I'm used to being so sure about everything and now..."

"You're just overwhelmed is all. You'll get a handle on this, Cat. What you really need is time."

Time?

The one luxury no college student possesses. Between course work, term papers, exams, creating a thesis, college life, relationships, and part-time jobs, who's got time?

"I don't know if I can do this," I admit for the first time, and the truth of it strikes me down. I sit on the sofa, suddenly deflated. In one big whoosh, my energy leaves me and I'm drained.

"Of course you can. You're Cat Fischer. You can do anything," William says, gently.

I smile because I knew he would say that. I only wish it were true.

"You know what I've learned about you, Cat, over these last four years?"

"What?" I ask, holding my head in one hand and the phone against my ear with the other.

"It's that no matter how crazy or bad things get, you always rise to the occasion. You're like a boxer that's face planted on the mat. The count down has begun, but the one thing everyone knows is that before the ref gets to ten, you're going to be back on your feet again."

I snicker. "I certainly feel like I've taken one too many punches."

"It'll get better."

I remember Alex saying this too. "How can you be so sure?"

"Because I'm standing outside your door. Open up, Cat."

This time I really do laugh. I hang up and open the door.