Chubby

"Daffodils is one of the most famous poems by William Wordsworth. However, he is famous especially for Lyrical Ballads. Whom did he write them with, Christoffer?"

You turned your head to the boy just a few desks away on your left who seemed deep in conversation with his best friend. Hearing his name, his head snapped up to look at the teacher. "Uhm... Blake?" he replied unsure.

"It's not Blake, Y/N?"

"Coleridge but the majority of the contributions were by Wordsworth. They published it anonymously in 1798" you said bringing your attention back to her.

"Right. For the next lesson I want all of you to analyse the Preface to Lyrical Ballads" she announced when the bell rang. Most of the students ran out. You spotted Chris and William getting up from their desks talking. After picking up your book and notebook, you walked over there and stopped in front of them. They didn't seem to notice you, until you cleared your throat. They stopped talking and looked at you confused.

"Hi" you greeted them timidly. "I... I thought you could use some help with English literature and I..." you began looking at Chris before he interrupted you. "I don't need your help" he said rude, leaving without another word, followed by William, who gave you an apologetic look. You sighed and left as well.

***

You sat outside with your lunch. Being new at Nissen you didn't have any friend yet and you didn't want to occupy a table in the cafeteria only for you, so you spent you lunch break outside reading or doing some homework. You were never great at making new friends; in addition to that, you were a little chubby, too much for the standards of this new school. You had already seen some girls looking at you disgusted and heard some mean comments but certainly it wasn't the first time, you had learnt long ago to ignore them and act as if they didn't hurt you.

You heard a group of people laughing, you raised your head from your book and you saw the Penetrators. Among them you spotted Chris and you admired his smile before shaking your head and going back to reading. You had noticed him the first day of school, he was very handsome, and completely out of your league. Most definitely he wasn't into chubby girls. Still, that didn't keep you from falling for him. It didn't matter how hard you tried to convince yourself you shouldn't have, you couldn't really control your feelings.

While you were reading, your phone chimed, signalling the arrival of a new message.

From Mom:

Hey, how is it going?

You typed a brief answer and decided to check the notifications on Facebook. There were a couple from your friends back in Tromsø who had tagged you in some funny posts that made you smile. Then you saw that that evening there would be an event near you to which many of the students of the school were going. You weren't invited but on the page there was the address and everything you needed to know. You thought it wouldn't hurt to go to a party. If nothing came out of it you would still have free drinks, which wasn't bad.

***

That evening you dressed up nicely and greeted your parents before leaving for the party. Thanks to Google Maps, you managed to get to the place without getting lost. The party had already begun when you arrived. You had to slalom to avoid people who were either drunk or making out to get to the kitchen and have a beer. With your bottle in hand, you wandered about before finally finding a spot where to sit. You sat there, drinking and looking around when a girl approached you.

"Can I sit here?" she asked politely, with a big smile on her painted lips.

"Yes, sure!" you said, mirroring her smile.